Weather plus get-there-itis example

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Great example of how it happens and a good change of plan after asking for help...

Good description of how nervousness compresses time, too. He also describes how he feels behind the aircraft.

Wait until 9:20... The second emergency happens... And he needs a shut up button for that alert... (Not saying what kind of alert so no spoilers...)

Chuckled at his blood pressure comment.

"Sorry for all the trouble..."

"That's our job."

Kudos to ZDV and this pilot, and always keep working the problems and fly the plane.

That was definitely worth watching -- I like how honest he was with the mistakes he made, but that alert noise was super annoying.

Monday morning quarterback mode - I wonder if he should have declared an emergency? He was in the clouds with no airspeed indicator and it might have given him more attention from the controller (who did an excellent job). A couple of times the pilot called and the controller didn't answer (I'm assuming he was working other traffic).

Last edited:
Saw that yesterday. . .and it was good. I also liked the "that's our job" comment.

Made a mental note to install/add-in a "shut-up" button. Good grief!

It was a good spatial disorientation example as well. . .attitude indicator showing a steep bank, but he (sometimes) didn't seem aware he was banking.

It was a good spatial disorientation example as well. . .attitude indicator showing a steep bank, but he (sometimes) didn't seem aware he was banking.

Yeah. Scan falls apart under distractions or stress, and it happens quick.

Now Imagine how much different this video would be if it was Jerry's.

That was definitely worth watching -- I like how honest he was with the mistakes he made, but that alert noise was super annoying.

Monday morning quarterback mode - I wonder if he should have declared an emergency? He was in the clouds with no airspeed indicator and it might have given him more attention from the controller (who did an excellent job). A couple of times the pilot called and the controller didn't answer (I'm assuming he was working other traffic).

Declaring an emergency would have been nice. Every IIMC procedure I’ve used has declaring emergency written on it. A FAR violation has occurred and the declaration is the “get out of jail free card.” Also, it gives priority to the situation so ATC can move anyone away from the 7700 code.

Having said that, an emergency doesn’t have to be declared by the pilot to be treated as an emergency. If I were on position, once I heard the pilot was IMC and not on an IFR flight plan, I’m writing a big red “E” in the strip. Once the pilot gets settled, let him know that I treated his situation as an emergency. FSDO will most likely get ahold of him on the phone in the future to discuss it. It’s not a big deal to declare.

Declaring an emergency would have been nice.

Yeah I don’t think it came to this guy’s mind due to general overload but it’s a good reminder.

I always figured that on the ground it helps y’all, if nothing else, with allowing one controller to focus on the issue — assuming reasonable staffing, of course. Plus making sure the supervisor knows something’s up, etc.

Declaring an emergency would have been nice. Every IIMC procedure I’ve used has declaring emergency written on it. A FAR violation has occurred and the declaration is the “get out of jail free card.” Also, it gives priority to the situation so ATC can move anyone away from the 7700 code.

Having said that, an emergency doesn’t have to be declared by the pilot to be treated as an emergency. If I were on position, once I heard the pilot was IMC and not on an IFR flight plan, I’m writing a big red “E” in the strip. Once the pilot gets settled, let him know that I treated his situation as an emergency. FSDO will most likely get ahold of him on the phone in the future to discuss it. It’s not a big deal to declare.

Yup. Emergencies can be declared by the pilot, the aircraft operator or ATC. Excellent point about not bothering the pilot with the fact you just did until he's settled down. I got into a pizzin' match with a supervisor about that once. Said you have to tell the pilot when it happens. I said well, you may have a case of insubordination then some day. Go ahead and write it up now, I'll sign it, when it happens we'll time and date it and take it up the food chain. Last I heard about that from him.

Back