420 Configuration Details

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
This got no response in Flight Following. Maybe it belongs here.

I flew for the first time this morning with my non WAAS 420 in my little taildragger. I have a 430 W in my Mooney and I’m trying to configure he 420 to appear and operate like the 420 as much as possible.

I’ve got North Up figured out and configured and some of the configurable fields like TRK, DIST, GS, etc., to match the Mooney for the most part although I am struggling a little with one field.

One thing I’ve found that I think is just different between the two and can’t be configured is the Next Track and Turn To TRK. On the 430 W when approaching a Waypooint such as an initial approach fix, it tells you the next heading (TRK) and then counts down several seconds for execution of the turn. On the 420 it simply gives a message indicating the next TRK will be for a few seconds then it will say Turn to TRK XXX. Does anyone know if this is configurable on the 420 to give the 8 or so second countdown to the turn?

BTW, I expect I will have a few more questions before I get it where I want it. I have the manual, but it doesn’t always show all the details or they are sometimes hard fo find.

I *think*, but I'm not sure, that's part of the W (or maybe just firmware upgrade) programming. I had a 430, and don't recall getting the turn to 155 in 9..8..7..6..5... But after it got upgraded and came back I started seeing it. But maybe I'm misremembering?

That makes sense Ed. The one in my Mooney is a WAAS and that might be the difference. Thanks.

Trying to configure things on 4/20 is never a good idea...

Just replaced my 420 with a 355 - I'm enjoying the countdown! To actually answer the question, the non was 420 didn't countdown

Thanks Alien. Makes sense. I wish I could have justified a WAAS for this plane, but it just wasn’t in the cards. If I didn’t have an engine overhaul going on my other plane, I might have had more funds to splurge with.

Last edited:
Okay, I will try to keep my questions going here without starting an additional thread:

I am working on understanding the VNAV feature for non-WAAS units. It appears that it can be used to indicate the descent rate from the final approach fix to the the missed approach point.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Example: Refer to the RNAV 17 Approach at KOSA. If I set Target Altitude to 736 Before WPT and Target Position to 2.2 Before Target Reference (which would end up as KOSA, then hit the FAF at 2000 feet, it would show me the Vertical Speed Required to descend to the MAP at my current speed. I realize that I am seeking an altitude for determining if I miss, but this should give me a useful indication while I “Dive and Drive.”

What do you think?

Back