Did it used to be "plan your checkride XC in 30 minutes"?

I do not believe there was ever a requirement to do the xc planning during the oral.
Maybe not in your lifetime, but in mine. How would an examiner time the 30 minutes if it was done at home?

I think with the various answers that it depends on the examiner. When I took my private back in 1992, I had to bring the cross country plan with me to the oral exam already done (he had given me the routing). After the oral was done we departed on the flight and the first thing we did was begin flying the cross country I had planned. As soon as I could calculate in the air using an E6B (not the electronic type...the whiz wheel) our ground speed and fuel to the first waypoint on my flight plan, then we could go on to doing the other parts of the private check ride (stalls, steep turns, landings, etc....)

Did my PPL in 1996. The examiner called me the night before and told me where to plan the flight. I've never, in my 27 years of this awesome hobby, heard anything about a 30 minute rule. Even in training, the CFI didn't give me a deadline. I suppose if I had been taking long he'd have said something (or helped me if I was confused).

Like others, 1991 and don’t remember any time limit. But it also didn’t take me that long.

I mean ya know, the TCA was a long ways away and I wasn’t asked any long scenario style questions either.

Airspace reclassification was still two years away or somesuch.

Did my PPL in 1996. The examiner called me the night before and told me where to plan the flight.

That’s what the examiner I had for my private certificate did too. The story I was told by my primary instructor was that he didn’t want to provide too much time to plan, out of concern that it would then become the flight instructor’s project rather than the students.

Ive never heard about other examiners doing this so I’ve always assumed it was just something this particular guy did.

1987 for sure was 30 minutes (I have a copy of the PTS). The Handbook number was FAA-S-8081-1A. Good luck finding a copy online.

Back