X-country IFR planning

MRSpad

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
I am now planning my x-country IFR training flight. I have planned for 3 different airports, 3 different approaches, 2 towered, 1 no tower, and was wondering how to file. Do I need to full stop at each one and file new IFR flt. plan for each leg or can I file one IFR flt. plan that has all 3 airports, do touch/go (or bathroom pit stop) and full stop land at last airport. I understand about 250 nm total and 50nm from origin and the different types of approaches but am wondering how ATC deals with stops on a route. My CFII is gone for two weeks and left me to put together a plan for when he returns.

I think you can plan and file it either way. I can’t remember which way I did it, but I believe I did one filed flight plan per landing. I did a longer-than-necessary trip for that lesson. The first approach was an ILS to a closed runway that also had a huge tailwind. Tower was bemused but helpful. We didn’t even put the gear down on that one. The next approach was a VOR/DME to a closed runway at a different airport, and we circled to land and get fuel. The next flight plan ended with a GPS approach at a different airport, but from minimums we flew VFR to our actual destination. I think I filed two flight plans for the entire ordeal, one to the fuel stop and one from there to the end.

you're the P I C. plan your entire flight. filing a flight plan doesn't get any easier these days. you can file a flight plan while you're taxiing back. or you have several other options, all of which you should discuss with your II before your flight.

I filed the entire flight, they are used to it. But you can do it any way you want to.

I’m about to do this too. I’ll probably file 3 plans but maybe I should rethink it.

I filed three plans. Went through the whole process 3 times. Good practice.

If I recall correctly, I filed and got cleared for an approach to the first airport, told center that I'd like to fly the published missed and get an approach to the 2nd airport where I bought lunch for the CFII. After lunch, I filed and got cleared for an approach at home.

I filed all on one flight plan, "round robin" in the comments. File whichever way you're comfortable with, grouped or independent. Have fun!

Thank you all for your input. I will probably file 3 separate plans but you have answered my question as to whether ATC would allow me to descend, touch/go, then continue. I was unsure about that aspect.

I had my students file 3 separate flight plans only because the home base was a towered airport with clearance delivery and I wanted them to get use to having call or use the RCO function. As others have said ATC is perfectly happy with you filing a round robin.

I filed three flight plans. You can file them before leaving. The strip will print 30min before the departure time you file, and it's valid for two hours after, so you have a big window.

If just doing a tng, filing that airport as a waypoint instead of a destination might be easier so your not trying to open a plan and copy a clearance in the air.

I would encourage at least a full stop taxi back at each airport as it gives you time to get your electronics set up, and you get practice getting a clearance from other places. I used MDW as one of my stops... their clearance delivery was next level.

Welcome to POA

A good person to ask would be your CFII.

A good person to ask would be your CFII.
More true than you might think. I recently answered a similar question elsewhere with this:

...since this is a dual flight… if you are the student, your CFI will (should) have a major say in what tasks you perform. And if you are the CFI making those choices, consider how little practice the typical local approach intensive curriculum gives in cross country planning and departure from any airport other than home base. If training out of a small nontowered airport, what a great opportunity to land and go through the entire process of obtaining a clearance at a Class C or even B. If the opposite, you train out of a towered field, it's an opportunity to learn to mix with self-reporting VFR traffic and pick up a void time clearance from the ground at a nontowered one.​

Last edited:
you're the P I C. plan your entire flight. filing a flight plan doesn't get any easier these days. you can file a flight plan while you're taxiing back. or you have several other options, all of which you should discuss with your II before your flight.
He is not the PIC. He's not qualified. The instructor is the PIC.

FYI, my x-country is finished. I presented two options to CFI and he liked the Southwest (versus East) option. It involved 4 airports with full stop, 2 different ARTCC, 298 nm, VOR, ILS, LOC BC and a fair amount of turbulence on the last leg. It was awesome.

Back