Opinions on the JMB VL-3 915

Gordon Freeman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GordonF
I happened to have come across the VL-3 (experimental) made by JBM aircraft in Czech Republic. They’re now offering this aircraft with the Rotax 915.

https://www.jmbaircraft.com/

It’s a 2-seater, retractable (option), with a ballistic parachute, and can be ordered with WAAS-IFR and autopilot for an all-weather XC flyer.

The numbers speak for themselves: 2300fpm climb, 200+ ktas Max, 24,000’ ceiling.

I mean it’s a Cirrus SR-22 turbo for a quarter of the price (less two seats).

And unlike other experimentals like Van’s, the cockpit is finished in beautiful leather and carbon fiber trim.

I’m mostly attracted to it for its economy. 4.5gph economy cruise at 145ktas is something very few planes can match.

I spoke with their Ohio based importer/dealer at Sun N Fun yesterday but I am still somewhat uncertain how one goes about getting an IFR certified experimental. Would I need to wait to have it inspected and certified by FAA for IFR? Experimental class is something I’m still learning more and more about every day. I’m just seeing it as a more affordable alternative to banged-up 70s certified aircraft being offered for sale for roughly the same price.

I’d certainly welcome any and all opinions on the aircraft, experimental class, and IFR certification for this class.
Thanks gentlemen. This would be my first aircraft purchase (most likely with 1-2 partners). As for myself, I’m a 130hr PPL with my instrument checkride scheduled in about two weeks, so pretty fresh.

The short answer is that they can't sell very many aircraft as experimental. It might be R&D or exhibition, but for the average owner those really are not a viable solution.

Until it's certified, or home built (EAB) from a kit it's basically a non existent aircraft.

Factory built and experimental just don't go together, except for the unique ability to convert SLSA tk ELSA.

I have a similar ( albeit not Rotax 915, just 914 ULS , carbon fiber + BRS) plane from Czech Republic and it is a blast to fly but it is certainly not a Cirrus minus 2 seats ( even though it kind of looks like one )
You are talking here 1320 LBS gross ( which is a big part of how they can claim such perf numbers with a turbo 140 Hp engine ) which translates into rather rough ride in anything worse than just light turbulence.
I mean, it is a just about perfect and economical plane for flying around the patch ( which is what majority of GA activity is anyway ) but it won’t replace a Cirrus ...

I have a similar ( albeit not Rotax 915, just 914 ULS , carbon fiber + BRS) plane from Czech Republic and it is a blast to fly but it is certainly not a Cirrus minus 2 seats ( even though it kind of looks like one )
You are talking here 1320 LBS gross ( which is a big part of how they can claim such perf numbers with a turbo 140 Hp engine ) which translates into rather rough ride in anything worse than just light turbulence.
I mean, it is a just about perfect and economical plane for flying around the patch ( which is what majority of GA activity is anyway ) but it won’t replace a Cirrus ...
Check the wing loading because that is what gives you the ride. The VL3 has the same wing loading as a Cirrus at 1320 lbs, but the EAB version can be 1600 lbs which gives it wing loading higher than just about any certified plane. It is a winner - especially with the 916 now available. The Blackwing 635RG is also a great plane and will likely have an EAB option soon. Rotax is the way to go due to the technology and the ability to run on MOGAS. When Rotax builds a 200-300HP version they will crush Continental and Lycoming.

Is this a model that the canopy has to be lifted to enter/exit the cockpit.??

Worked for CubCrafters
The key difference is that when I posted that (almost 2 years ago) there were exactly zero EAB VL3s in the US. There's still 5 or less in the US that are EAB, but at least it means they are working on the builder assist program.

Plus Cubcrafters offers a true factory built (certified or SLSA) version, the VL3 is either EAB (rare, and do some work yourself) or exhibition

It can't be an LSA with that kind of power/speed so I don't really see the point of it being factory built.

Just wait for MOSAIC...

and wait...
and wait...

The VL3 is one sexy airplane and I could see pursuing one down the road if MOSAIC passes. I hope to sit in one if I make it to Oshkosh this year. From videos on YouTube it appears pretty narrow as the pilot and passenger are pretty snug.

Awesome airplane. I think you can get it as LSA if they end up doing the build. I was looking at getting one a while back

Back