Blue Angels practice

Maxnr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bob
If you are in Pensacola and in the mood for a free airshow, check out the Blue's practice sessions at the NAS. I was driving down Davis Hwy in P'cola yesterday about 10:30. Looked up and saw four aircraft at the top of a loop with smoke on. Didn't realize that they resumed public practice sessions.
You need a DOD ID card to get you and your carload aboard the Air Station. Practice is 10:00,to 11:00 Tuesday and Wed. Rear of the Museum parking lot is the best place to watch. I usually bring a lawn chair. The Cubi Bar and Cafe inside the museum is open to 3:00 for lunch.

Really hope they reopen access to the museum to us lowly civilians. Miss going there and being able to see the practice sessions when in town.

Was flying past P'cola about 5 miles north of base one afternoon and got treated to a practice session. Really cool to see them going over the top of loops at eye level.

Used to live in P'cola from 1998 to 2003. finished up my private at 82J which had airspace from the NAS cut out above it and you had to do your pattern at 500'. A few times I can remember driving down Navy Blvd close to the base and the Angels would come flying over very low. It was pretty cool.

Lucked into a practice run at Grand Junction, CO two summers ago. I believe they run practice flights at least the day before shows. We were just visiting friends and happened to find a free “air show” after landing. Dang cool.

The best day of an air show is the day before. Possibly 2 days prior. You see the performances without the crowds. And you usually get to see the planes that are gonna be static displays fly in.

Wednesday - advance plane (narrator)arrives.
Thursday - circle and arrival maneuvers. Confirming checkpoints, center marker and show lines.
Friday - rehearsal.

Was stationed in Pensacola in the late 70's when they flew the A-4's. I would watch the practice as I ate lunch behind the hangar I worked in. I really enjoyed watching the practice sessions. Engine was a J52-408. The 408 had 4 fuel nozzles per burner can, rock and roll..:)

blueangels-018b.jpg

Last edited:
I remember one airshow at Pensacola Naval Station and one of the jets turned away from the crowd and basically put the engines in our face and the roar was deafening. And the narrator said, "We call that peace music." :D

If you are in Pensacola and in the mood for a free airshow, check out the Blue's practice sessions at the NAS. I was driving down Davis Hwy in P'cola yesterday about 10:30. Looked up and saw four aircraft at the top of a loop with smoke on. Didn't realize that they resumed public practice sessions.
You need a DOD ID card to get you and your carload aboard the Air Station. Practice is 10:00,to 11:00 Tuesday and Wed. Rear of the Museum parking lot is the best place to watch. I usually bring a lawn chair. The Cubi Bar and Cafe inside the museum is open to 3:00 for lunch.
Spent 4 years rebuilding jet engines for the T-2 Buckeye and the A-4 Skyhawk at AIMD Pensacola, a visit to the museum was a must when the family came to visit. Dad loved it, mom had a good time even though she was not a real aviation enthusiast.

The best day of an air show is the day before. Possibly 2 days prior. You see the performances without the crowds. And you usually get to see the planes that are gonna be static displays fly in.
That is true for most events. Go to a NASCAR race days prior to the event and you will have fun...

Back