VFR above 17,500 - international airspace?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
Once you're 12 nm offshore, you're in international airspace, right? Does Class A exist in international airspace? If you're 12 nm offshore from any country, could a non instrument rated pilot fly above FL18? Also, is 12 nm offshore even in the Gulf of Mexico still considered international airspace? For example, if you're flying from Texas to Florida, could you cruise at 17,500' until you cross the ADIZ, then climb to a cruise of 24,500', then be sure you're back down to 17,500 before you cross the ADIZ?

Thanks in advance for the discussion!

gif-eating-popcorn-61.gif

Once you're 12 nm offshore, you're in international airspace, right? Does Class A exist in international airspace? If you're 12 nm offshore from any country, could a non instrument rated pilot fly above FL18? Also, is 12 nm offshore even in the Gulf of Mexico still considered international airspace? For example, if you're flying from Texas to Florida, could you cruise at 17,500' until you cross the ADIZ, then climb to a cruise of 24,500', then be sure you're back down to 17,500 before you cross the ADIZ?

Yes. Looking forward to your trip report.

It does exist. It's not always 18,000 and above. I think each Country determines it themselves. That's the Country that has control of a particular piece of the Sky. Yeah, it's International Airspace, but by International agreement via ICAO(google it) the entire Globe is divided into pieces and ATC is delegated to the Country that has authority in that piece. For instance, most of the Northern Pacific Ocean is the US. It's divied up between Oakland, Anchorage and Honolulu Centers.

Probably is ok if you bring Jerry W. with you. They you fly under JFR - Jerry Flight Rules. Under which this (and everything else) is permitted.

Can't wait to see the videos.

Lets see.... The US Dept Of The Interior leases ocean bottoms to the oil & gas companies at 250 to 300 NM south of the Louisiana coast. Cuba has the rights to about 50 NM from Key west. Houston Ctr controls the airspace out there up to SR-71 altitudes. The ADIZ is only one of your worries. Remember, you will always be in range of USAF fighters out of Houston. I have had a close up look at them on several occasions. Its E airspace at 1200'.

Why is it a student can't ask a question in the Pilot Training section of these forums without getting a snarky response that only satisfies your ego to feel superior and does not teach? I'm not looking to break the rules or get intercepted. I was just asking if Class A extends out over the water.

Why is it a student can't ask a question in the Pilot Training section of these forums without getting a snarky response that only satisfies your ego to feel superior and does not teach

Jeeeez. Buzz Killington. And any time someone mentions ego, I just revert back to quoting Top Gun.... something about writing checks my body can't cash or something..... anyway.....

I was just asking if Class A extends out over the water

No. It doesn't. 15-2 from the PHAK - Class A airspace is generally the airspace from 18,000 feet mean sea level (MSL) up to and including flight level (FL) 600, including the airspace overlying the waters within 12 nautical miles (NM) of the coast of the 48 contiguous states and Alaska.

But since this is the (your bolding, here) the Pilot Training section, I guess it wold be worth mentioning this may go against better ADM for a non-IR pilot.... And that's not snarky.

.......No. It doesn't. 15-2 from the PHAK - Class A airspace is generally the airspace from 18,000 feet mean sea level (MSL) up to and including flight level (FL) 600, including the airspace overlying the waters within 12 nautical miles (NM) of the coast of the 48 contiguous states and Alaska.....

15-2 from PHAK??? Anyway, that description of Class A is one piece of Class A. There are others that are under the Control of US ATC. Here’s one:
upload_2021-4-17_3-56-10.png

If you want to fly in the flight levels go to Cuba (or fly in their airspace), flight levels there start at 3,000' MSL.

15-2 from PHAK??? Anyway, that description of Class A is one piece of Class A

Well that describes the boundaries at least... also 3-2-2 from the AIM. And obviously 91.135 talks about how to operate within class A. Was trying to post a non-snarky response, but I probably should have just reverted back to the snarky commentary.

Well that describes the boundaries at least... also 3-2-2 from the AIM. And obviously 91.135 talks about how to operate within class A. Was trying to post a non-snarky response, but I probably should have just reverted back to the snarky commentary.

It just hit me. Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

If you want to fly in the flight levels go to Cuba (or fly in their airspace), flight levels there start at 3,000' MSL.

Flight Levels starting at altitudes lower than 18,000 is common throughout the World. That doesn’t make it Class A. It starts at 20,000 in Cuba.
upload_2021-4-17_4-31-51.png

Why is it a student can't ask a question in the Pilot Training section of these forums without getting a snarky response that only satisfies your ego to feel superior and does not teach? I'm not looking to break the rules or get intercepted. I was just asking if Class A extends out over the water.
Your question started out theoretical, but then you kept getting more specific adding a non instrument rated pilot flying above 18k into the mix. At that point the answer progresses beyond the technical and into the “is it a good idea” realm.

No where did you indicate your level of experience. You could be a salty old hand with a turbo charged plane. You did not indicate what part of FL you would depart. Miami? Pensacola?
Flying over the GOM is little different than flying over Kansas. But with no B, C, D or G airspace. And with a few extra cautions. The ADIZ of course. And Warning areas. See AIM 3-4-4. Many of these are sfc to FL 400. They cannot legally keep you out despite the hazards. US airspace goes out hundreds of miles. Example: New Orleans to Merida, Mex is more or less 500-550 NM. 2/3 is in US & 1/3 is in Mexican airspace.
If you want an up close look at the GOM airspace, look at the Gulf Coast Heli chart 1: 1,000,000. It covers Brownsville, TX to Apalachicola, FL. Should be on most FP apps. Or you can get it at: Skyvector.com for free. Select :CHARTS, VFR sec, any of the coastal sectionals, then select Gulf Coast Heli.
Note the many indications that say "Houston FIR/CTA. Lots of air carrier traffic to and from S & Central America. Some descending into KIAH and KMSY.
We just want to help.

Back