Think Like a Pilot Article and Game?

William Pete Hodges

Pre-takeoff checklist
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Petehdgs
Years ago I wrote an article called Think Like a Pilot! It is included here for your reference. I came to believe it would be a great basis for a flying game. Back in the 1960s we were introduced to a game called Yacht Race. It is a game of sailing a racing strategy that took place on a map with an 8 point compass in the center on Wind Island. The Wind Pointer dictated the speed of movement in each direction for every move. The wind changed periodically during the game, and there was Sailors' Luck cards that popped up to make the game more interesting. It looks like to me that a flying game could be blended out of these variables, but I was unable to complete the task.

I am asking you all to have a look at the the article and at my attempt at the rules. Any and all thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Think Like a Pilot! Rev1.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • Think_Like_A_Pilot_RulesWIP.pdf
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Screenshot_20210417-081256_Chrome.jpg vintage-yacht-race-sailing-board-game_1_4b71d4e171c7da2a876a0cf8b066fda2.jpg Here is a photo of the yacht race game board. I envisioned the Think Like a Pilot game board to be a chart of Virginia from Farmville KFVX in the West to Campbell Field 9VG in the east and Wincester KOKV to the North and Petersburg to the south. The chart would have Rumb lines marked off in NM along the main lines and intersecting to six or so other airports to act as home bases for the players airplanes. The task? Pilot your airplane to get your friend in Farmville, pick up parts in Winchester, drop off both at Campbell field, and get home in time to meet your Fiancé and parents for dinner! You will have to buy fuel and deal with logistics and wind, and select your cruise speed and altitude along the trip. The game starts with a 7AM phone call asking for your help. Dinner is at 7PM. Can you complete the mission and be home by six to shower and change for dinner in time?

The leg from Winchester KOKV to 9VG Campbell Field must dogleg over KEXF Fredericksburg to avoid the SFRA and restricted airspaces over the Chesapeake Bay.

The idea of this game is to introduce the non-flying novice to the basic real aeronautical decision making all pilots must face. It would be a way to open the eyes of the general public as to what flying is all about.

Last edited:
In the last few minutes I added photos and text to give you a better idea of the game. Any GA airport other than Winchester, Farmville or Campbell Field could be a players home airfield. Take a look at the premis and let's see if we can make an interesting game. Thank you all in advance!

As a competition game, I think it’s got some good bones. Most games have some combination of skills and luck such that skill will get you the win more often than not. But piloting is a very unique skill, I think it’d have to be abstracted quite a bit to keep it fun for aviation curious and their friends.

Overall, the way to make it into a real game is make a prototype and play test it. Plan on 100s of hour of play testing for clarity, game mechanics, and repeat playability.

Back