Thinking About a DeLorean

Thinking - Thought - Done!

That’s cool man and it certainly looks well cared for!
If you decide to drive into the next fly-in, we’ll all understand why. :)

That’s a beautiful 72
Yeah it looks nice to me! I’ve thought about <no pun intended> what a remake of this car would look like if they started producing them again. Probably better off not knowing, as they’d find some way to butcher it and destroy the nostalgic aspects of it.

I certainly could be mistaken. I remember reading somewhere

... that they were all V6, so I looked it up on Wikipedia, which confirmed that and mentioned the V6 turbo development that didn't quite make production.

For sure the Peugeot, Renault, Volvo (PRV) V6 was mated to both auto and manual gearboxes. Engine was widely used by the three manufacturers for years as their only big engine. Almost 3 litres was big for Europe.

Reactions: Ted
5. In summertime you can use it to bake bread.
6. If you have a goldfish, he or she will still feel right at home while traveling.

7. Doesn’t burst into flames when rear-ended.
8. Chicks dig it.

AMC Pacer.
1. Better visibility to identify potential terrorists and see Indians chasing you.
2. More internal room to carry people and equipment.
3. Better rear-end adaptability to 19th century locomotive cow catchers.
Already been done. Porsche rebadged them and changed the name to Panamera.

Nauga,
who thinks an Aztec (Pontiac, not Piper) would hold more armor plating and gun ports.

Currently putting the new Stage 2 motor in mine.
f5589781f66e9dc0498e58f1e264223e.jpg

This is the one I saw at our marina. Like I said, no idea whose it was and never saw it again.

Wait a minute. You're telling me there's a company out there that takes the completely awesome but otherwise hunk of sh*t that is a stock DeLorean and upgrades all the sh*tty parts to turn it into something resembling a car actually worth owning? I now need to reassess all my life goals to allow for this new information. Congrats on the new purchase!

Don't leave us hanging... tell us more!

Just doing a full restoration on a Delorean my dad bought in the 90s. Engine through a rod in 1998 and it sat ever since. Basically a new car, replaced pretty much everything.

Wait a minute. You're telling me there's a company out there that takes the completely awesome but otherwise hunk of sh*t that is a stock DeLorean and upgrades all the sh*tty parts to turn it into something resembling a car actually worth owning? I now need to reassess all my life goals to allow for this new information. Congrats on the new purchase!

The Delorean Motor Company. You can even order a new one.

In the very early 90s I was at a car show and I saw a V8 conversion Delorean. Unfortunately it had a stock Chevy 305 TBI in it, so it probably did not have any more HP than the original motor.

Currently putting the new Stage 2 motor in mine.
f5589781f66e9dc0498e58f1e264223e.jpg

Eventually I’d like to upgrade to stage 2. I don’t think it would have changed the course of the DMC12 but they would have far more interest if they would’ve started out with that engine.

The Delorean Motor Company. You can even order a new one.

Well, you can send them an email saying you might buy one in 5 years time when they make one. Zero made so far.

Certainly seems to be plenty of interest in the vehicle.

If only John D could come back, do some drug deals, and get the money together to get production going?;)

Well, you can send them an email saying you might buy one in 5 years time when they make one. Zero made so far.

Certainly seems to be plenty of interest in the vehicle.

If only John D could come back, do some drug deals, and get the money together to get production going?;)

JZD was innocent. FBI entrapment! :D Personally, while I feel he made a horrible judgment call, I wonder if an Elon Musk or even a Preston Tucker would have done the same thing in his shoes. I think JZD really cared about his product and about keeping 2,500 + people employed at his Belfast factory. There are still those in Belfast today that highly respect him and what he tried to do for their community.

If he only would’ve taken the last minute loan and shared ownership, DMC might be alive and well today. Legend has it that JZD didn’t want to share it with anyone, hence the drug deal.

JZD was innocent. FBI entrapment! :D Personally, while I feel he made a horrible judgment call, I wonder if an Elon Musk or even a Preston Tucker would have done the same thing in his shoes. I think JZD really cared about his product and about keeping 2,500 + people employed at his Belfast factory. There are still those in Belfast today that highly respect him and what he tried to do for their community.

If he only would’ve taken the last minute loan and shared ownership, DMC might be alive and well today. Legend has it that JZD didn’t want to share it with anyone, hence the drug deal.

Lore suggests that the DeLorean car takes after its creator and obediently follows the white line...on the road, that is. :eek:

I always thought an aspro Nissan VQ37VHR V-6 would make a good swap, at 2.5 times the PRV's power and a a nice, tractable powerband. Around 9 sec. 0-60 is fine for a cruiser in stock form, but I think I'd want something more.

The original concept for the structure before adopting the Lotus backbone chassis was an interesting foam/composite sandwich construction, IIRC. Deemed too difficult and costly to produce.

Best re-engined DeLorean I ever saw, by far, was this one. Yes, that's a twin-turbo Lotus V8 in a DeLorean. Saw it in 2007 at the Lotus Owners' Group convention that my buddy and I crashed. I give massive props to the owner/builder - his incredible coolativity is shown by his vanity plate!

IMG_1645.JPG

So what's one of these cost from DMC, checked out and upgraded?

So what's one of these cost from DMC, checked out and upgraded?

Anywhere from the mid 40s to 60s. Johnny Carson’s old car just sold for $115K.

Flew down to DMC Florida today. ORL is a nightmare! Anyway, they have a constant flow of cars that are being upgraded there.

11837F73-70E4-417D-8262-7BA8B54615CB.jpeg 26E7D50B-AD4E-4791-9703-A0615FE8F0B9.jpeg 212843E1-52D0-406D-BA83-1E6DF7035924.jpeg 11167444-F6C9-4B23-9461-BC052F4AF49A.jpeg

Last edited:
Have they told you how many they convert into BTTF shape?

No, but they can do a conversion if the customer wants. There are varying degrees of quality / authenticity in BTTF conversions. There’s a YT guy “VideoBob” that does a lot of them. Believe he charges $50K for the conversion itself. All in you’re looking at well over 6 figures for a quality BTTF car.

The hardest thing is finding the aircraft parts for the rear. In the movie, they went to a military surplus store and got what appears (green tubes) to be helicopter control tubes and possibly a stator fan assembly. The one in my showroom pic has those installed. I like the movie but not big on converting existing cars to BTTF replicas. I prefer the looks of the stock car, it’s fascinating story and the life of JZD.

No, but they can do a conversion if the customer wants. There are varying degrees of quality / authenticity in BTTF conversions. There’s a YT guy “VideoBob” that does a lot of them. Believe he charges $50K for the conversion itself. All in you’re looking at well over 6 figures for a quality BTTF car.

The hardest thing is finding the aircraft parts for the rear. In the movie, they went to a military surplus store and got what appears (green tubes) to be helicopter control tubes and possibly a stator fan assembly. The one in my showroom pic has those installed. I like the movie but not big on converting existing cars to BTTF replicas. I prefer the looks of the stock car, it’s fascinating story and the life of JZD.

I was curious more than anything. Were it me I'd probably want to keep the stock lines of the car, and I agree the whole story is fascinating.

New documentary on Netflix next month.

AMC Pacer.
View attachment 95590
1. Better visibility to identify potential terrorists and see Indians chasing you.
2. More internal room to carry people and equipment.
3. Better rear-end adaptability to 19th century locomotive cow catchers.

Ron Wanttaja
I bought my daughter a "Purple Pacer". She loved the "fish bowl" . 6 cylinder auto . Was a good little car.
Bought used for $1200 .

Congratulations....what a great car for any of us that went to high school and college in the 1980s. Timeless design. I think John got it right

Well after a couple of weeks of ownership, the DeLorean has been sent back to DMC for work.

1) Driver’s window stuck halfway.
2) Louvers were damaged and didn’t latch to the engine lid.
3) Engine lid was broken.
4) A/C evaporator dumping water on passenger floor.
5) Cruise inop.
6) Cigarette lighter inop.
7) Seat covers stained. Looks like bleach.
8) Glove box latch completely fell apart.

Transport truck comes to pick it up the other day and the driver doesn’t pull up far enough in the trailer to clear the door. Opens the door and it slams up against the side of the trailer and dents the door. Does anyone have any attention to detail anymore? :(

Transport truck comes to pick it up the other day and the driver doesn’t pull up far enough in the trailer to clear the door. Opens the door and it slams up against the side of the trailer and dents the door. Does anyone have any attention to detail anymore? :(

Lowest bidder.??

As for the rest, all I can think of is it must have been a Friday built car..:lol::lol:

(and I really hope it gets fixed to your liking)

Back