Headset Recommendation?

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I think it's time for a new headset. The earcups on my ANR set is gel and feels good going on, but sometimes after a flight I notice a dull ache near my jawbone. I'd written it off as cost of doing business until I had a similar thing with headphones. I'm convinced it has nothing to do with clamping force. The weight and the constant "fixing" of the set isn't what I consider fun or safe. I can ignore it, but for the cost of the headset I should be able to have something I truly enjoy.

Next, I thought about those in-ear aviation headsets. They look like it's what I want.

Are there any that don't have boom microphones? I want to wire up my own electret mic.

Find a way to fly with them. I don't like them. Many others share that opinion.

OTOH, some people *love* them.

...Next, I thought about those in-ear aviation headsets. They look like it's what I want.

Are there any that don't have boom microphones? I want to wire up my own electret mic.

If you are going to wire up your own microphone why not just use a set of standard consumer earbuds - the kind the kids use for music?

If you are going to wire up your own microphone why not just use a set of standard consumer earbuds - the kind the kids use for music?
That's what I did a few years ago, using "Plugfones" (industrial noise reducing earbuds). They work fine with a simple adapter with most handhelds, but need a (simple) impedance matching transformer with a panel mount radio.

For a mike, I made a boom mounted one that clipped to my shoulder strap.

But now I'm using basic DC headphones that came with the leather helmets that came with my Hatz.

Find a way to fly with them. I don't like them. Many others share that opinion.

OTOH, some people *love* them.
I’m definitely in the “love them” category, especially for long cross countries. They’re very light and work very well, IMHO. But yeah - they’re essentially earplugs in your ear.

I’ve had Quiet Technologies Halos for over 10 years.

I have a set of Clarity Aloft - which are essentially earplug with speakers. Hate them. Getting them in your ear is a pain, having them stay there is problematic, the wires are thin by necessity and thus headset is not robust, ear foam buds constantly falling off, etc. I've switched to a Zulu Lightspeed ANR - which I find not only a lot more comfortable but quieter as well.

I found that not all ANR headsets are the same. What fits you doesn't fit me and vise versa. I went to an airplane shop and tried on several before I found the LightSpeeds fit the best.

In-ear headsets are all about getting the right tips. I struggled with my QT Halos for several months until I tried the black silicone tips, which work well for me. With those tips, I prefer the Halos over my Zulus and my Sierras. Wearing a hat and/or sunglasses is much more comfortable with them and they don't have batteries which inevitably die at the wrong time.

I used a QT Halo for years, and had to adjust the mic position every time I moved my head, because the boom won’t stay put. The wire frame also broke.

For the last few months I’ve been using a CQ Headsets CQ1. It looks like a Halo, but the frame is much more durable and the mic stays put for the entire flight. The sound quality is outstanding, as is the noise reduction.

...had to adjust the mic position every time I moved my head, because the boom won’t stay put...

My experience is similar. Because of that I won't use mine in the fall, winter, or spring. But in the heat and humidity of the summer the I find that my over the ear Lightspeed Zulu headset is uncomfortable (read sweaty) enough that I tolerate the instability of the Halo's boom (I do try to stabilize it with a clip on the wire attached to my shirt front). I find that the silicone Christmas tree earpieces work best for me in terms of ease of insertion along with good noise isolation (as long as all 3 tiers of baffle are inserted).

I just bought CQ1 headset (in-ear style) and flew once last friday Compared with my ANR David Clarkes (over the ear). It's a little bit more hassle to get going with CQ1as you can't rush the sealing of the earbuds. I wear glasses and fly in bright Florida with sunglasses that fit over my glasses like a dork. No matter how great the ANR in any headset, Bose, lightspeed, etc I break the ear seal unless I wear contacts. The lightspeed did better but still broke the seal. I don't like wearing contacts. The noise reduction with the standard ear tips on CQ1 compared well with the David Clarkes when wearing nothing but contact lenses. But the CQ1 were better than the David Clarkes when I put on glasses. I will fly and compare with Bose a20 next flight in our Grumman AA5 before I make my final decision.

Back