G3X challenges

RogerT

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RogerT
We put a garmin g3x panel in the Velocity VTwin we’ve been building. 2 460’s, 750, G5, 45R, remote com, remote audio panel. I can’t get the 460 pfd to establish the rs232 connection to and control the transponder. I verified the wiring to the right pins. It’s all wired per a Steinair diagram. When the guy certified the transponder he just checked the default 1200 code apparently. When we fly it we can follow it on Flightaware with the correct track and airspeed. Altitude is a little flaky though it reads right in the cockpit. So adsb is at least partially working. I emailed Garmin and got no reply. What am I missing here?

When I had one function not work with mine the Garmin guy I talked to figured out I’d terminated the pins to the wrong connector. He was right, too. Are you emailing to the G3Xpert address?

When I had one function not work with mine the Garmin guy I talked to figured out I’d terminated the pins to the wrong connector. He was right, too. Are you emailing to the G3Xpert address?
I double checked the wires were to the correct pins. Exactly like the diagram. There’s only one rs232 connection between the two. And the transponder isn’t on the CAN bus. I emailed G3Xpert@garmin.com. Maybe they’re just behind.

To derail your thread, I'm finishing the wiring on the G3x in the RV-10. The system drives an incredible number of wires behind the panel. Yesterday, I had to look behind the panel on my 20 year old RV-6 - which has a fairly basic VFR panel with autopilot. The difference in the quantity of wiring is astounding. I'll probably lose my mind if the G3X doesn't power up reasonably trouble free. Once installed, I don't want to have to dig into that mass of cabling and wires for a long time.

just throwing out a wild guess. If the pins are correct maybe the problem lies in the 345s config menu. maybe it has to be told to use it.

I think Stewartb is suggesting you used the right pins, but possibly on the wrong connector. It’s easy to do.

I had a different problem with my G3X Touch system, and it turned out to be that I had selected the wrong data format for one of the RS-232 lines. So you may just have to change the configuration of some of the RS-232 or other data lines in your system.

You also didn't mention how the GTX 45R is connected to your other equipment. Page 27-33 in revision AM of the G3X Touch installation manual, Figure 27-2.13, is basically how I wired mine:

Primary GSU 25 RS-232 port 3 -> GTX 45R RS-232 port 1. This provides pressure altitude data and control signals from the G3X Touch system to the transponder.

PFD RS-232 port 5 -> GTX 45R RS-232 port 3. This provides traffic and weather information to the PFD.

MFD RS-232 port 5 -> GTX 45R RS-232 port 2. This provides traffic and weather information to the MFD.

GTN 650 ethernet port 1 -> GTX 45R ethernet port 1. This provides WAAS position data to the transponder and traffic and weather information to the GTN.

Did you ever find the problem? can you post the solution?

Back