Thinking About a DeLorean

Looks in great condition!
Bring-A-Trailer by chance?

No, buying it from DMC. Has several DMC upgrades over standard DeLoreans. Power Steering, cruise, new header exhaust (whopping 150 hp), back up camera, new suspension, etc, etc. You pay more with them but you’re getting a vehicle that is turn key and everything is either replaced or upgraded.

Saw one sitting at our marina last summer. No idea whose it was but it was cool

Looks very retro with those doors, square headlamps and the straight line interior. :thumbsup:

So I bought one...well signed the Bill of sale anyway. Should take delivery in a couple weeks. I’m an 80s kid so it’s a must have.

View attachment 95572 View attachment 95573 View attachment 95574 View attachment 95575
I remember watching the development of the DeLorean - and getting more and more irritated as the intro was pushed back again and again, and the price went up and up. After it bombed in the market
they had lots of unsold ones sitting around - and were selling them for about $17K (IIRC). So I went to have a look - and took an instant dislike to it. When I sat in it I noted that my head just fit into an
indentation in the headliner. If I moved my head left or right, it bumped into the side. Also, it had a big fat steering wheel that pretty well blocked the instrument panel. Nope - this will never do!. Didn't
bother to ask for a test drive. You should know that I have short legs and a long trunk (don't do well trying to wear coveralls) On the other hand, my bodily configuration fits into my 182 quite nicely.
I will say that it is a good looking car. But it is a long way from being the Supercar it resembles.

Dave

DMC is great...are you picking it up in Humble? We had an 81 that my mother bought wish I had it today just a fun car...my parents had interest in Ireland and had a connection to get one of the early cars...unfortunately the three speed auto

No flux capacitor. Bad choice:eek:

Well, he can now drive faster than 88 mph and not worry about Mr. Fusion. :p

This company is just around the corner from my home and we've stopped in a couple times to look at the Deloreans. My son loves 80's vehicles also (gets it from me), though his first car will be a Porsche 944 he rebuilt from the ground-up himself this last year (at the age of 13-14).

https://www.dmccalifornia.com/

For this, I won’t make a report that you stole my thread title series. It’s so coop I’ll allow it! ;)

But I almost missed this! Should be in hangar talk.

Amazingly cool, congrats. They’re by no means super cars but they’re super cool cars, especially for any of us who grew up thinking Back to the Future was a cool movie series.

I take it that it has the turbo 4 cylinder with the manual transmission?

There used to be a night time parade of them leaving the factory in Belfast during their development, some came back on flat beds the next morning showing that some were attracted to trees

When the company went belly up, they auctioned off a lot of them and the first thing most owners did was to paint them.

There was a gathering a few years ago.

Attachments

• 9E2B44E8-AE0A-4986-9B38-A669043BDCB4.jpeg
    9E2B44E8-AE0A-4986-9B38-A669043BDCB4.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 111
  • F54192B9-F76D-4035-BF07-52BA843C41F5.jpeg
    F54192B9-F76D-4035-BF07-52BA843C41F5.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I take it that it has the turbo 4 cylinder with the manual transmission?

I think they all had the PRV V6.

A turbo engine was engineered but they went bust before production with it started (thanks Wiki). Still looks like the V6.

Legend_engine.jpg

Lotus got involved in the project and some speculate that Colin Chapman's early death at the age of 54 may have been "convenient".

I think they all had the PRV V6.

A turbo engine was engineered but they went bust before production with it started (thanks Wiki). Still looks like the V6.

Legend_engine.jpg

Lotus got involved in the project and some speculate that Colin Chapman's early death at the age of 54 may have been "convenient".

I certainly could be mistaken. I remember reading somewhere that the manual transmission cars were all turbo 4s and the V6s were all automatics. I have no idea how credible that source was.

I certainly could be mistaken. I remember reading somewhere that the manual transmission cars were all turbo 4s and the V6s were all automatics. I have no idea how credible that source was.

Nah, the manual uses the PRV as well. A lot of different engine swaps out there though. In house they do a turbo that upgrades to 200 hp I believe. Base engine is only 130 hp. Other than the upgraded exhaust, I plan on keeping the engine stock.

F1C009EA-CE1F-4CAC-AFAD-B8319BB93107.jpeg

Reactions: Ted
Neato-jetto! Have always wanted a DMC in my garage.

The GM/DMC dealer in our town had two brand new ones he kept on the lot for over 20 years after the demise of DMC, along with the last 76 Caprice convertible he had, in stock. Just kept them on display.

Least it won't rust. My 2014 GMC sierra has the rockers rusting pretty badly

Neato-jetto! Have always wanted a DMC in my garage.

The GM/DMC dealer in our town had two brand new ones he kept on the lot for over 20 years after the demise of DMC, along with the last 76 Caprice convertible he had, in stock. Just kept them on display.
Whoa...I didn't even know there was a convertible caprice in 76. That's fantastic. Growing up in a Pontiac family, I always lusted after the 68 Bonneville convertible. Something about a soft top land yacht just does it for me.

I love how the DeLorean playing a time machine in a classic movie has made it into a real life "time machine". I think it'd be long forgotten by now otherwise, but here they are, building "new" ones.

Super jealous!

Least it won't rust. My 2014 GMC sierra has the rockers rusting pretty badly

Well outer body (stainless) and underbody (fiberglass) won’t. They do have rust issues on the chassis though. They took a copy of a Lotus double Y steel chassis and decided to epoxy coat it for corrosion. Unfortunately it holds moisture in and speeds up the rust process. A lot of DeLoreans that look like good deals are rusted underneath.

Last edited:
DMC is great...are you picking it up in Humble? We had an 81 that my mother bought wish I had it today just a fun car...my parents had interest in Ireland and had a connection to get one of the early cars...unfortunately the three speed auto

DMC Florida. Humble of course is their headquarters though. They’ve always got a bunch of cars there. They say enough parts to build around 300 new cars. Their plans are yo start building new ones with NOS parts but I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

Sounds like something I would do. Say I’m thinking about buying something means I’m on the way to go buy it.

I don't understand how they managed to make so little power with that engine. I mean, most NA V6's were making 150-160HP or so by the mid-80's. I'd have to engine swap it just to be able to enjoy it. No wonder Marty had to back up so much to get it to 88mph, lol.

Kinda neat that the new DMC exists and decks these things out to feed our cultural nostalgia! LOL.

Wonder if the car hadn’t been used in the movie whether they’d all be dead and gone by now, and what other cars of the era would have made for a good “time machine”...

Kinda neat that the new DMC exists and decks these things out to feed our cultural nostalgia! LOL.

Wonder if the car hadn’t been used in the movie whether they’d all be dead and gone by now, and what other cars of the era would have made for a good “time machine”...
AMC Pacer.
upload_2021-4-15_7-55-54.png
1. Better visibility to identify potential terrorists and see Indians chasing you.
2. More internal room to carry people and equipment.
3. Better rear-end adaptability to 19th century locomotive cow catchers.

Ron Wanttaja

AMC Pacer.
View attachment 95590
1. Better visibility to identify potential terrorists and see Indians chasing you.

Ron Wanttaja

4. Great for listening to Queen

AMC Pacer.
4. Great for listening to Queen
5. In summertime you can use it to bake bread.
6. If you have a goldfish, he or she will still feel right at home while traveling.

I don't understand how they managed to make so little power with that engine. I mean, most NA V6's were making 150-160HP or so by the mid-80's. I'd have to engine swap it just to be able to enjoy it. No wonder Marty had to back up so much to get it to 88mph, lol.

Apparently our tighter emission standards ruined the HP. European PRVs at the time produced around 150 HP. John DeLorean wanted a rotary and at lest 200 HP but it wasn’t to be. Had to settle on the PRV to save $$$. Just another reason why the car didn’t succeed on a mass scale.

I love the Delorean for its looks but would never own one unless someone gave it to me.

I think they all had the PRV V6. ...
IIRC that is the same engine that was in my Volvo 6-cly wagon (265 iIRC.) Those engines had a cam/lifter oiling problem. The repair procedure involved pulling the engine to remove the cam(s) but the problem was so common that the dealership mechanics learned to beat the flat rate by cutting holes in the firewall and taking the cam out that way.

You might want to check/verify that your engine series had the issue and try to learn any applicable folklore on how to stave off or eliminate the problem.

Back