New IFR Hood - Icarus

After many nights of long hours I have managed to work up a prototype. Here is a picture of it. I just need another $25000 for beta product

shut-up-and-take-my-money-meme-512x512.png

The point of these is that they're variable, not on/off like foggles, so you can simulate low visibility. I believe they are primarily aimed at helo pilots who routinely fly in mvfr.

It still falls well short of being compelling for that application, at least in my opinion.

$1,000 - $1,500 for a foggle ?!?! ..and I thought the $30 prices at the local pilot shop for existing foggles was expensive.

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

I just don’t see it as a game changer. The ability to induce IMC that quick, while more realistic, doesn't make it more effective at training instrument scan than foggles. I can still cheat just as easily with this, as I can with foggles. Both are only as good as 1) how much outside references are blocked and 2) how honest the pilot on the controls is in not cheating.

The helicopter brown / white out scenario doesn’t make much sense either. If my chin bubble isn’t covered, then I’m cheating. Also, I can tell you the official training of the Army teaches to do a go around if encountered brown out. Do we always do that...eh. ;)

The little overlapping bubble diagram, while good eye candy, doesn’t make much sense. You could put foggles / hood in the same spot as Icarus.

It’s slightly better than our current simulator / hood training. Enough to train to a better instrument scan and prevent spatial D vs traditional methods? Nope.

It's just a ridiculous price. If it was $75 I could see some CFIs buying one and keeping in their toolkit for students to sometime simulate an "oops we're in a cloud!" moment

But the price is a no-go. Honesty, it's an offensive price.

The concept is interesting just impractical and expensive. Whats sad is they might actually sell some at that ridiculous high price

I'm going to buy one so I can stay instrument current in my Raptor after it's done.

I once made foggles out of a $3 pair of safety glasses and some masking tape. Worked quite well.

I use the Feather Hood currently. Works.

Back