NAV121 VOR fixable?

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I was flying a few days ago and while testing out my VOR I noticed that it was about 20 degrees off. It seems to work fine in all other aspects but Im not sure why it is off by so much. Can this be fixed and if so who still works on them?

Narco NAV121

Might be an antenna issue. I have both a 121 and a 122 in my Cessna. I’m about to replace the 121 with a 420 and an indicator. The 121 will then be up for entertaining offers. The 121 and 122 have been checked against each other monthly for the last ten years and have consistently been within two degrees of each other.

BTW, have you tested it against a different VOR?

There was a Narco repair guy in Minnesota that did repair on one of my Coms, but it was not long after NARCO went belly up. I fully expect that a little googling could find a Narco savvy repair resource that would be hungry for the work

Last edited:
A friend has a couple of those units and has had the same problem a couple of times. It likely can be fixed although I'm not sure who he has been sending them to or what the cost to repair is.

mikesavionics.com did great work for me repairing a Nav 121 in the past.

OP. Do you have another NV in the plane that you could swap antenna cables with? If so you could eliminate the antenna as the culprit. Also, have you experienced this problem on more than VOR?

Beware a fellow named Keith in Texas that advertises on Barnstormers...
He DID fix my MX12 but getting him to accept payment took 4 weeks. No cash, no Credit Cards, no personal checks, refused a Certified check because he said it was fake (wouldn't even take it to his bank) played phone tag with my banker and me...just a real nut job...

JMPO
Chris

Just a note. I picked up my little taildragger from the avionics shop this morning. I now have the perfectly operational and accurate Narco NAV 121 available for sale if you’d like to make an offer.

If it happened suddenly, 20° off probably means a component failure.

These two pages describe adjusting the VOR and LOC "ZERO SET" potentiometers in the Narco NAV 121 and NAV 122, and are intended to be used with a calibrated test set like the TKM NC2210 VOR/LOC/GS/MB Receiver ramp tester.

This is just FYI.

NARCO NAV 121 122 122A Manual 36.jpg NARCO NAV 121 122 122A Manual 37.jpg

Back