Nav #2 died, replace or ditch completely?

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Have a narco standalone NAV, (no GS) that just recently started showing a permanent NAV indication flag. Checked all antenna connections and cable connections and all are good. Spinning OBS does nothing, and 0 volume on getting an ID. NAV portion of 430W will display/sound correctly for the same VOR. Also in panel is 2 x G5 + 430W & and SL40.

Just ditch the 2nd nav completely, or get another CDI and swap SL40 out for a 30?

What say you PoA?

It's a Comanche, not a Cherokee 140. :thumbsup:
I don't know for certain, but I'd guess you are doing more IFR and more hard IFR than the average.
If so, I'd go with the SL30.

Have a narco standalone NAV, (no GS) that just recently started showing a permanent NAV indication flag. Checked all antenna connections and cable connections and all are good. Spinning OBS does nothing, and 0 volume on getting an ID. NAV portion of 430W will display/sound correctly for the same VOR. Also in panel is 2 x G5 + 430W & and SL40.

Just ditch the 2nd nav completely, or get another CDI and swap SL40 out for a 30?

What say you PoA?

Need to know what’ll you spend the money on if you go option 1

Need to know what’ll you spend the money on if you go option 1
Fuel. :D

Most all of the approaches I have ever flown I can't recall one where I needed two VOR receivers since I can now identify all the intersections and fixes with GPS. Back when I was flying /U I could see the need to replace. But also have the RMI feature available on the G5.

Fuel. :D

Most all of the approaches I have ever flown I can't recall one where I needed two VOR receivers since I can now identify all the intersections and fixes with GPS. Back when I was flying /U I could see the need to replace. But also have the RMI feature available on the G5.

Guess it boils down to how much faith you have in the 430 and the signal it works from

Guess it boils down to how much faith you have in the 430 and the signal it works from

There's also at least two other GPS antennas in the airplane, sometime 4. Now if all GPS goes out AND the 430W fails on the nav side, we have an issue.

Methinks you’re leaning towards the more gas route.
Yeah I'm just wondering if there is a real need for a second nav anymore that I'm not seeing. And I do hand fly IMC IFR.

I guess with an SL40 you really don't need the nav. I like having my second one but in reality I don't need it.

The 40 is com only, no nav.
I know. I always want a second comm but don't need a second nav. Since you have that second comm, you're set. I wouldn't want a plane without a second comm.

I know. I always want a second comm but don't need a second nav. Since you have that second comm, you're set. I wouldn't want a plane without a second comm.

Ah, yeah. Worst case if i lose the 430, and tablet, and my other gps, I can still get radar vectors.

You describe a NARCO NAV121. In the next week or two, the perfectly operational and accurate NAV121 will be coming out of my Cessna and be replaced by an indicator for the 420 that’s going in it. If you would like to make an offer it’s yours.

I've always thought I needed a second, independent NAV source for IFR. But if the GNS-430 craps out, you still have a secondary COM and likely portable GPS nav information for an emergency IFR descent. With a second you can still fly a non-precision approach, however, if the GNS-430 dies. Without NAV2, you are left with ATC assistance for an IFR descent to VFR conditions, or faking some sort of emergency approach with a portable GPS. TBH, I've never used my NAV2 for any reason other than training or monitoring NAV1 since installing a GNS-430W. But I'm keeping my NAV2 capabiilty for now.

Our KNS80 brick is now, well, a brick. We are replacing it and the old 197 with a new GNC255.

Do I need a Second nav? No, but I do like having it in the panel.

VAL INS429 is one option.

However, going the SL30 route is a good excuse to also put in a GI275 CDI/MFD. That would be quite useful.

Last edited:
I’d jump at a good serviceable NAV121/122 if it can be found. Otherwise, probably fine to do gas.

Yeah Spike, albeit aged, the NAV 121 & 122 are very nice instruments. Virtually self contained, reliable and long lived. I wouldn’t dare be pulling one out of my little Cessna were I not needing the spot to make for filing /G.

I don't even know what a fair price is for one of those

I've always thought I needed a second, independent NAV source for IFR. But if the GNS-430 craps out, you still have a secondary COM and likely portable GPS nav information for an emergency IFR descent. With a second you can still fly a non-precision approach, however, if the GNS-430 dies. Without NAV2, you are left with ATC assistance for an IFR descent to VFR conditions, or faking some sort of emergency approach with a portable GPS. TBH, I've never used my NAV2 for any reason other than training or monitoring NAV1 since installing a GNS-430W. But I'm keeping my NAV2 capabiilty for now.

You can do a lot with just one NAV. There are some Approaches that require Dual VOR receivers, but not many. Most of those it’s just to get lower Minimums with step down Fixes inside the FAF. You get a little busier with only one, but it’s not all that bad with modern FlipFlop radios. Part of my Instrument training was holding at an Intersection with one NAV.

There are usually a few on eBay if you want to get an idea. You never know theircondition.

Check with Mike at Mikes Avionics.

A lot of talk about risk of 430 failure and rescue by handheld GPS. There is also the risk of wandering into a GPS outage that you missed the NOTAM for. Still probably not a big deal with the 430's nav radio plus radar, but just remember that it's possible for the seventeen GPS-enabled devices in your cockpit to fail at once.

I like redundancy. Having a secondary nav is a good idea, even if just for VOR checks or practice.

Yes, I am about to give up NAV2 in my Cessna to make room for a CDI necessary to support a 420. It will indeed make the VOR check for NAV1 a hassle because I can’t just compare one against the other in flight.

Not sure I’d count on the other gps’ to get me down if the 430w blows a fuse. Vfr, sure, but ifr some certified nav would be nice.

Not sure I’d count on the other gps’ to get me down if the 430w blows a fuse. Vfr, sure, but ifr some certified nav would be nice.

The funny thing about this statement is the secondary GPS I have actually provides more information for flying approaches than the 430W does - and has since before ForeFlight was even a thing.

So what is that second GPS?

True_Flight, been running it on various Win(oh the horror) devices since 2009, but they were around before that.

Last edited:
Back