Thinking about upgrading my PC and making it dual boot.

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
I have considered using a VM, but prefer dual boot. Windows has built in disk management and there are good 3rd party tools, too.

There would be two Windows versions, 10 and 7. One of my FSX models will no longer install under Windows 10 because of file permissions. It’s a model of the plane I want to get my PPL in, and isn’t available for Prepar3d V4.

Also, I want to upgrade to an Intel i9-9980 extreme. They are 1/2 the original retail price so a lot of bang for my buck. I’d put 64 GB of 4133 MHz RAM, for L1 Cache and use NVMEM for L2 cache.

I’d need a new mother board - X299. I’m a big EVGA fan and would get their FTW - K MB. The website say it supports Windows 10. Anyone here try it with Windows 7? I don’t see why not, but I’d like to see if anyone has personal experience. I’ll also ask EVGA; I am extremely impressed with their customer experience. Thanks

Just a suggestion, I'm not familiar with FSX models but it should be possible to get around a file permissions problem. Either by running the installer as administrator or changing the permissions on whatever file/folder it's trying to write to.

I have considered using a VM, but prefer dual boot. Windows has built in disk management and there are good 3rd party tools, too.

There would be two Windows versions, 10 and 7. One of my FSX models will no longer install under Windows 10 because of file permissions. It’s a model of the plane I want to get my PPL in, and isn’t available for Prepar3d V4.

Also, I want to upgrade to an Intel i9-9980 extreme. They are 1/2 the original retail price so a lot of bang for my buck. I’d put 64 GB of 4133 MHz RAM, for L1 Cache and use NVMEM for L2 cache.

I’d need a new mother board - X299. I’m a big EVGA fan and would get their FTW - K MB. The website say it supports Windows 10. Anyone here try it with Windows 7? I don’t see why not, but I’d like to see if anyone has personal experience. I’ll also ask EVGA; I am extremely impressed with their customer experience. Thanks

While newer hardware's drivers are not tested with Win 7. The actual structure of Windows drivers has not changed since XP. Most Windows 10 drivers will install and run all the way back to Windows XP.

Having said that, Windows 10 has a compatibility function that will allow programs to run in a compatibly mode to simulate previous versions. It may be worth trying that to get the model working.

Thanks for all your replies. I’d already tried running as administrator. No joy.

Unfortunately, it’s pretty much moot. I either killed my motherboard or it was already almost dead, but my computer won’t even start POST now. I’ve ordered parts to upgrade to a X299 MB, an 18 core i9-9980xe, with 2TB SSD and 1TB L2 cache, as well as 64 GB 4133 DDR4 SRAM. I’m also upgrading my liquid cooler to an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 (2 120 mm fans). Best Buy will do the work as part of my service agreement.

Hopefully motherboard support for and using an M2 NVMe SSD. NVMe dome right absolutely smokes SATA, and SATA was no slouch...

Back