Question re: GA flight around NYC area

Nmm347

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Nmm347
Hello all, I am in the planning phase of a trip to Long Island and could use some local knowledge. I’m coming from the Baltimore area and planned on hitting Sandy Hook before crossing over direct to Long Beach then follow the shore to Jones Beach before turning towards Republic all under the bravo. Looking at the TAC there is a note saying to contact JFK within 8nm which I would be if under the bravo and direct to Long Beach. I’ve flown in and around several bravo’s but don’t recalling seeing a similar note. Are flights outside the bravo required to contact JFK tower if within 8nm? Any guidance on phraseology checking in?

I plan on asking for bravo transition but want a plan in case I’m denied. Not a fan of flying so low over water but without bravo I don’t see many options. Thanks in advance for all the on and off topic comments.

Last edited:
JFK tower controllers are great and very helpful. Call them up when you’re over sandy hook so they know you are there and can give you advisories. There is a lot of helo traffic on that route and you’ll appreciate tower’s help. Call them up and request a VFR transition eastbound, south shore. They’ll give you a squawk and either clear you into the Bravo and assign you an altitude or they’ll acknowledge the eastbound transition and tell you to stay at or below 500’ (below the bravo) depending on which runways are in use and how busy they are. Study the helo route chart. The south shore route is over water just off the shoreline.

you’ll find the transition to be very easy.

They like to know you are there at 500 and below. That is on the final approach paths for JFK. They are very good, and aren’t annoyed with the little planes. Just stay a bit off the beach at altitude, the. Call republic at jones beach. FRG is operating only 14/32. You might get one of the grumpy controllers, or one of the good ones.

May I suggest flying up Hudson in the SFRA at 1100 and crossing NY north of Manhattan? Might add 20 minutes to your flight.

May I suggest flying up Hudson in the SFRA at 1100 and crossing NY north of Manhattan? Might add 20 minutes to your flight.
I agree that the additional distance would be scenic, but from a risk perspective you're spending a lot more time at low altitude without many landing options than you would if you just crossed from Sandy Hook 5nm to Breezy Point at 1500 and dropped down to under 500 along the beach.

Fly 5500 and ask for the Bravo clearance. If denied climb to 7500 and go over it. I personally wouldn’t do the 500 ft route. Aside from the lack of altitude in case of engine problems, you are subject to wake turbulence from heavy jets passing overhead.

If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!! The whole area has sucky outs...

I agree that the additional distance would be scenic, but from a risk perspective you're spending a lot more time at low altitude without many landing options than you would if you just crossed from Sandy Hook 5nm to Breezy Point at 1500 and dropped down to under 500 along the beach.

Just tell them exactly what you want to do. They’ll accommodate you more often than not. I think I was denied a bravo transition once in 10 years.

Fly 5500 and ask for the Bravo clearance. If denied climb to 7500 and go over it. I personally wouldn’t do the 500 ft route. Aside from the lack of altitude in case of engine problems, you are subject to wake turbulence from heavy jets passing overhead.
^This. Whenever I fly up to HPN or BDR I fly VFR at 7500 on flight following. The controllers know our destination and will get us down as soon as they can work us through their traffic..

Thanks for the replies it really helps.

Back