Professional holds

They give us lots of petro where the price is low. Not so much where the price is high.
Capt can always put on extra.

My last straw was that they also like witch hunts.

The fleet CA and I called the CPs and DO out on a major safety issue after they tried to make me ferry a very broke 200. The next two months I had CAs mysteriously replaced for exactly one turn. Towards the end I had a replacement CA that told me he was actually a LCA with instructions to write me up, on anything I did that was none standard, so they could fire me.
Wow. That’s really bad. Jokes on them. You’re with the FAA now:D

Fortunately there’s no reg that requires holding within protected airspace, so you can still follow the magenta line. :rolleyes:
When it’s a HILPT or Missed Approach hold it is Part 97. When it is en route or on a STAR, it is part of an ATC clearance.

Ours was that if you didn’t fly the Econ Speed you’ll be diverting for fuel. Also if you want to be a Line Check Captain or a Training Captain then your Fuel Score better be good. The airline kept a “secret” list of all the pilots ranked on how much fuel they could save or arrive with the least amount of extra fuel. If you requested additional fuel then your chances of ever being promoted was none existent for a set amount of time.

Didn't know you flew for Ryanair

Ours was that if you didn’t fly the Econ Speed you’ll be diverting for fuel. Also if you want to be a Line Check Captain or a Training Captain then your Fuel Score better be good. The airline kept a “secret” list of all the pilots ranked on how much fuel they could save or arrive with the least amount of extra fuel. If you requested additional fuel then your chances of ever being promoted was none existent for a set amount of time.
Exactly the reason why a union is necessary in aviation.
It’s a safety issue.

Until you get a management title its not a promotion just a pay bump.

My last straw was that they also like witch hunts.

The fleet CA and I called the CPs and DO out on a major safety issue after they tried to make me ferry a very broke 200. The next two months I had CAs mysteriously replaced for exactly one turn. Towards the end I had a replacement CA that told me he was actually a LCA with instructions to write me up, on anything I did that was none standard, so they could fire me.

Welcome to airline flying. Back when that "you are the wind beneath my wings" song came out they played it at a base meeting with the VP flight ops. Stupidest thing I ever heard. I nearly vomitted. If you want to be an airline pilot remember you are fungible. The cost of accidents is negligible to an airline. They are insured. If you want to put safety first get a job where the motive is not profit. Otherwise you are a cog in a machine designed to make money where safety is a byproduct of government and union pressure. Don't ever think that an airline cares about safety, employees or the public. It just ain't so.

It is not limited to Pilots. Mechanics face the same pressures.

No one wants to hear this, but is my belief based on my experience and the experiences of my clients.

Welcome to airline flying.

<snip>

It is not limited to Pilots. No one wants to hear this, but is my belief based on my experience and the experiences of my clients.

Not to discount ARFlyer's experience - which genuinely sucks - but not all airlines are the same. Across my two airlines, there has been no time where I was pressured to do anything unsafe, and I've always felt empowered to do what I felt was right without fear of repercussion.

I'll piggyback on what @kayoh190 said. I have never been pressured to do anything unsafe. I have not been pressured to fly fatigued (a bigger deal at my airline). I have never been questioned by our dispatchers* when I asked to add fuel.

*Dispatchers will ask "why" when I call to add gas. I never took them as questioning my authority or decision making. Just more for them to try to see what I'm seeing and they're not and to try and learn for the next time.

Back