Rule of threes, ends in a nice day flying.

texasclouds

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
#1 Flew 100 nm to E. TX today. Tyler Co. 09R. Got out of the plane to find a metric sheet ton of oil on left side of my plane. I’m thinking we are going to need a mechanic, and this is about to get expensive. Probably gonna miss Jeopardy. Pop the oil door to find oil everywhere. Then I see a big hole with no cap on it. Look what’s sitting on the battery box. Yep, the oil cap to my Cessna 170. Right where I left it. Lost about half a quart of oil.

#2 Flew to Navasota 60R for some fuel. My buddy jumps up on the ladder to fill the right wing. I do the CC payment and turn around just in time to see him lowering the nozzle into the tank with the rubber cap on the nozzle. I ask him if he took the cap off, hoping my eyes deceived me. Knowing that I just watched the previous pilot put the cap on the nozzle, while noting that the little keeper cord was broken. Buddy says uh, whoops while proceeding to slide the nozzle out of the tank, scraping off the plug. Oh shoot. I ask if it is floating, he says yea. I’m thinking let’s fill the tank up and maybe we can reach it. Knowing that probably won’t work. He didn’t like that idea. I peek in the hole to see only an inch of fuel inside and some sort of tank structure holding the plug near the hole. I’m able to tip it up and pin it down with my Fuel Hawk straw stick thingy. I flag down a gentleman who previously asked if we needed any help. I need help now. He has another fuel stick. So I chop stick it to the port, only to drop it back in. Second try it comes out! I tell buddy, that’s number two. We better go back and call it a day.

#3 We get to my hangar at CLL, and guess who left the tail pull handles out from the fuel stop? Yep, number three.

ECA0276B-7D1A-40AE-A3F4-F7A7555DD30D.jpeg

Back