First Flight on Mars

This is going to be the coolest thing since this:

ppDaE4bmoY98e2J7LezDvK.jpg

Well, it would be a lot nicer if they actually had fluid video of it as opposed to camera shots of it rotating. Hopefully the actually flight will be done with fluid video unless it was just my internet speed.

Well, it would be a lot nicer if they actually had fluid video of it as opposed to camera shots of it rotating. Hopefully the actually flight will be done with fluid video unless it was just my internet speed.
I'm sure it will be, but I think it will be a day or two for that to get transmitted back. Like the landing, there were a couple of small, compressed images and videos at first and then the full-res came back over several days.

Class G airspace I presume

Uh, hello... CLEARLY above FL180...

Last edited:
Class E above FL600 appears to have no upper limit. However this regulation would seem to apply only when Mars is directly above some portion of the United States. :D

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...8ea448f52c6&mc=true&node=sp14.2.71.e&rgn=div6

On the other hand, would the term "airspace" be applicable once you reach an area where there is no air? :stirpot:

Could be more. Have you read the Regs from all the other countries? And what if the Chief Counsel determines that air is air regardless of how thin? And what if they get two of them up there at the same time? In Controlled Airspace. ATC will be needed. My Pot Runneth Over

Last edited:
Earth obviously... isn’t that the center of the universe?!

There are some who call me, Ptolemy?

I imagine drone rules apply.
§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight

Oops.

Well, there is a problem with Martian internet speed, until Starlink is installed.

§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight

Oops.
Can a telescope be considered a corrective lens? Lol.

I'll bet they bump into my old girlfriend too ...

An aircraft has flown on another bloody planet and it isn't good enough. We are so jaded.

They have high def video cameras on the lander that were focused on the aircraft, and they have high def cameras on the aircraft.

It will take a few days for all that data to finish being transmitted back to Earth.

It’s going to be cool.

It's great what JPL does with the names of things. What struck me as especially poetic was the vantage point where Perseverance was stationed to record Ingenuity's flight...Twitcher's perch.

Twitcher is British slang for one who travels a great distance to observe a rare bird.

That one got me kinda choked up.

110,000' is 21 miles. That's the stratosphere.

Felix Baumgartner jumped from 128,000'.

felix-baumgartner-capsule-jump

I don't think Ingenuity has enough battery power to get up to 128,000'. But it would have been cool to have it flying around outside the Red Bull capsule.

Back