Black Jelly Bean Rant [N/A obviously]

licorice flavor is disgusting

My theory is the only reason some children grow up into adults that like licorice is because their mother wouldn't let them have any chocolate, strawberry or vanilla. In anything. Such deprivation can produce strange results...licorice lovers, serial killers, that sort of thing.

You haven't lived if you never had Beech Nut Black cough drops ..... full licorice flavor .... everyone ate them like candy ... cant get them any more .

.beech nut black cough drops.JPG

Famous aviator Amelia Earhart flew her Pitcairn Autogyro around America promoting Beech Nut

amelia earhart beech nut autogyro.JPG

Amateurs. If you’re not ordering your coffee beans by the 5# bag, you’re just loafing.

:)
Given how weak some of the roasts are, it migh well take that much to get one decent cup.

And the circle is complete! Hypothesis proven. Pilots like black licorice jelly beans.

so, dislike of black licorice jelly beans should be declared a disqualifying medical condition? ;-)

Given how weak some of the roasts are, it migh well take that much to get one decent cup.
I like a nice dark French or Italian roast. Alas, my wife prefers a "breakfast blend", so you can guess what we drink.

Ha... We used to pick up Papa Murphy's once a week. Occasionally I'd order one with anchovies. They'd make the pizza without them, then hand me the pizza and a tin of anchovies. Said they found that opening a tin was good for one pizza before they had to toss them, no one ever ordered anchovies. I love the little guys.

The only way I could possibly stomach a licorice jelly bean would be to wrap it in an entire tin of anchovies, toss it in my mouth, and then try not to chew too thoroughly so I never actually bite into the foul, repugnant black bean.

so, dislike of black licorice jelly beans should be declared a disqualifying medical condition? ;-)
Yes ... and that is why the doctor gets you to open your mouth wide ... he pretends to look at your throat but is actually looking for black licorice residue .

Those smart doctors know their stuff.

REAL pilots... and real men... do. Anchovies and sardines, too.

<duck &cover>
Real men take their coffee black, too. And they fly taildraggers.

I prefer both orange and black jelly beans. The halloween mix is just right.

My wife bought a bag of licorice jelly beans just for me. They didn't last long. I'll probably have to wait until next year for more.

Real men take their coffee black, too. And they fly taildraggers.

I do fly a taildragger but I like my coffee like my wife ... sweet, blonde. strong, fresh, and hot!

Yep, you can quote me on that!

The same reason why some people like black jelly beans is also why some people fly north up - there’s just something wrong with them.

Licorice grows native in the coastal areas of Northern California. Well, maybe not native, I don't know. But it grows. Eucalyptus trees are not native to the American continent either, but there are a lot of them here.

Yup, Remember the anise plants growing by the American River near Fair Oaks CA. when I was a kid.

1960 through '69, Del Campo HS, Lived around Northern Sac. Mid 50's then Sac downtown for a few years. My parents were having a house built in Auburn late '50's' but had a falling out with the builder...small world;-)

172154218_4072125712850814_6615740296524599270_n.jpg

My (now grown) kids love black jellybeans.

At one point I had to tell them why -- on our long family road trips when they were toddlers, I would buy the gas station bag of jelly beans to keep the sugar high focus going.

Kids being kids in the back seat, the begging for candy would start.

Of course, only the black ones got handed back, and they grew up thinking that was the yummy stuff that came in the bag that dad was eating from.

Today they pick the black ones out of the bag happily.

I am from a Scandinavian (Danish) background and we love our licorice .... but I never expected the Icelanders would get this carried away ..... Licorice sea salt ....

iceland licorice salt.JPG

“I do fly a taildragger but I like my coffee like my wife ... sweet, blonde. strong, fresh, and hot!”

I asked the capt if he wanted acup of coffee. Yep. Uh, how do you like it? Like I like my women... Ok, so what’s his stupid version...?

Just stared at his feet, shook his head and said “bitter”.

I peed myself! Uh, things not good at home boss? Another head shake. Ok, one bitter coffee, coming up.

FWIW, love black jelly beans. And anchovies...

Tools

thread-drift:

um "sustainable salt"?

What would be unsustainable?

It is an old company that extracts sea salt using old methods ... high-end and expensive and they sell a lot of it. They use the evaporation method which works well in the cold dry air .

That doesn't answer the sustainable question and I have no idea what it means either. I also ponder why anyone would want licorice flavored salt.

Why is everyone having so much hatred on licorice? I kind of like the stuff. Now only if they could make licorice flavored lettuce wrap.

Wait a minute. The stuff grows wild out here. I might be on to something.

Why is everyone having so much hatred on licorice? I kind of like the stuff. Now only if they could make licorice flavored lettuce wrap.

Wait a minute. The stuff grows wild out here. I might be on to something.
Or you could just be on something, we don't know.

Back