LPV approach wont activate?

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I'm new to IFR flying and have not received my IFR ticket yet so please excuse me if I'm not using proper terminology.

I recently had a Garmin GNC355 w/ GMU 11 and GAD29b installed along with a G5 HSI. Last night a friend and I were testing it out to see if it would lock on to an LPV approach. It would switch from TERM to LPV but then go back to TERM and would not stay locked on.

Could it be that my database was not updated or is there something else happening?

(**We were flying normal VFR approaches but we just wanted to see if it would work)

Usually you need to activate the "approach" mode to get the GPS to follow the approach, otherwise you won't get vertical guidance (hence lpv). I'm talking from the g1000 but I imagine the g5 isn't much different.

Need more specifics. How were you flying it? Were you using vectors-to-final? Were you intercepting final outside the FAF? Were you perhaps entering "Direct-to" the FAF?

Or, it could be an antenna issue.

It's not related to the age of the database.

I'm new to IFR flying and have not received my IFR ticket yet so please excuse me if I'm not using proper terminology.

I recently had a Garmin GNC355 w/ GMU 11 and GAD29b installed along with a G5 HSI. Last night a friend and I were testing it out to see if it would lock on to an LPV approach. It would switch from TERM to LPV but then go back to TERM and would not stay locked on.

Could it be that my database was not updated or is there something else happening?

(**We were flying normal VFR approaches but we just wanted to see if it would work)

Before or after the Final Approach Fix? It should switch 2nm before the FAF. If it went back to TERM after this point there indeed is a problem somewhere.

We we tried both before and after FAF and approach mode was active.

What what?

What do you mean by "tried before and after" and "approach mode was active" which contradicts the whole reason you started this thread?

Like I said Im new to IFR but it would not lock on to an LPV approach. We tried both before we got ot the final approach fix and it kicked back to TERM then we tried after the final approach fix and it kicked back to TERM as well. Maybe Im saying things wrong but that was my understanding of it.

Basically, Im not getting vertical guidance on approaches...only lateral

Basically, Im not getting vertical guidance on approaches...only lateral

If it's staying on TERM you're not getting lateral guidance to approach tolerances either. Are you loading/activating the approach at least 2nm prior the FAF?

By any chance were you trying to intercept the glideslope from above?

I dont think so. I was flying and I had a friend messing with my new avionics who was more familiar with how they worked (not an expert but more familiar). He said it wouldnt lock on so it got my concerned if I was doing it right

Back