CFI with a stuck mic on CTAF -- dual received?

There is a sequencing aspect of ATC beyond just collision avoidance.
The radio replacement ideas being discussed in this thread are sufficiently improbable that we may as well just upgrade TCAS to handle sequencing, too. Basically, the problem here is user error so the only real solution is to remove the user, regardless of what we do with the actual radio transmissions.

The radio replacement ideas being discussed in this thread are sufficiently improbable that we may as well just upgrade TCAS to handle sequencing, too. Basically, the problem here is user error so the only real solution is to remove the user, regardless of what we do with the actual radio transmissions.

taking the pilot out of the picture is the safest trajectory

After the uproar about the ADSB mandate, how does anyone think a new com radio standard would bring?

Transmit timeout timers (usually with visual and audible alert) have been a feature of public safety fleet radios since the 70s. A tiny number of aviation radios have it.

It’s relatively stupid that it isn’t a standard feature by now in anything new.

Yay “certification” I guess.

It's easy, just make a call on 121.5 - "smalltown traffic, N1234 on guard, someone has a stuck mic, smalltown." I mean everyone monitors guard like we're told, right?

FYI - there's a pretty good article on duplex radio comms in the March issue of IEEE Spectrum. Frequency-division duplexing has been done for a while, but there's work in progress to do it over a single frequency, which would greatly improve spectrum efficiency.

I read that article. It was interesting. Off in the future before something comes along and uses it, however.

Which new aviation radios do not have a stuck mic feature?

Well... I don’t think it’s in any of the modern Garmin lineup until maybe the 345? Quick google search seems to confirm including G1000 and other integrated cockpits. Didn’t remember seeing it in either our users guide or the installers guide for ours.

Well... I don’t think it’s in any of the modern Garmin lineup until maybe the 345? Quick google search seems to confirm including G1000 and other integrated cockpits. Didn’t remember seeing it in either our users guide or the installers guide for ours.
GTR200:
upload_2021-4-8_20-4-52.png
GTR225:
upload_2021-4-8_20-3-30.png
GNC255:
upload_2021-4-8_20-4-12.png

The ICOM A220 (confusingly called "Time-Out-Timer" there) and Trig line-up also have it as well.

Isn’t that what the “S” in “ADS-B” stands for?:rolleyes:
S = Surveillance. Neither FIS-B nor TIS-B provides sequencing.

Had an amusing thing the other day. I left my field and was heading for a small private strip next to some nearby class D airspace. I had tuned the tower in the class D as I was thinking about cutting through there but decided to just circle around.

Another plane called in to land at the class D airport and said that approach thought there was another airplane ahead of him. The tower was unaware of any. Then the guy gets on with my N-number (dang ADS-B). I call the tower and say that's me but I wasn't going into his airspace.

S = Surveillance. Neither FIS-B nor TIS-B provides sequencing.

Had an amusing thing the other day. I left my field and was heading for a small private strip next to some nearby class D airspace. I had tuned the tower in the class D as I was thinking about cutting through there but decided to just circle around.

Another plane called in to land at the class D airport and said that approach thought there was another airplane ahead of him. The tower was unaware of any. Then the guy gets on with my N-number (dang ADS-B). I call the tower and say that's me but I wasn't going into his airspace.
Well, there ya go...ADS-B for sequencing. :rolleyes:

Last weekend one plane was doing circuits with CFI/student and tower told me enter left downwind report midfield. As I approached the student keyed the MIC and I got some dual as well. After 20 seconds or so of this tower called "check stuck mic" perhaps on ground frequency in case they had both dialed in (I always do). As I had them in sight my plan was to enter the pattern as directed and look for the light gun. I certainly could have switched to ground and they would have been fine with that I'm sure. Fortunately the other flight stopped yakking & I was CTL as normal.

Back