Want To Buy WTB - QT Halo Triple Flange eartips

HouTxPilot82

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HouTxPilot82
TLDR - Looking for the triple flange style original rubber eartips for QT Halo.

I've had the QT halo for about 5 years. It came with eartips of different styles/types - foam, rounded, triple flange. The only ones that fit my ear canal comfortably were the triple flange style rubber ear tips. I need some replacements for these and ordered them off the Quiet Technologies website but the ones I received seem to be a different material. The new ones are clear as opposed to my original opaque gray (see attached pic).

The new ones don't block out background noise - I had a real hard time hearing the radios on my last flight; never had this issue with the original ear tips. I reached out to them and got a very prompt response back saying the ones I ordered are all that's available now and unfortunately previous ones have been discontinued by their suppliers. They were apologetic they had no other options for me. Trying my luck here since these headsets are so popular - perhaps someone doesn't use the triple flange ones and would be willing to sell them to me. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210402_164701328.jpg
    PXL_20210402_164701328.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 26
Yeah, I tried those when I first got mine and they didn't block any noise. They didn't fit my ears like the yellow ones. The yellow ones work for me though when I wear them. I have a Bose20 I use most of the time. As a matter of fact if you wanted I could mail you my triple flange ones. They are the original ones like you're talking about. Only used them once. But you can disinfect them. :D

I bought some earplugs like that from the local drug store. Of course, they are closed at the end. I heated up a small nail on the stove, picked it up with pliers and put a hole through the center. Worked well.

Good luck, those rubber ones are awesome! I still use mine - I'd be disappointed with the foam ones.

I've used the Halo's for 4-ish years. Love them - but - I cheated. I had some custom molded earplugs made and that have an elbow connector that connects to the flexible sound tubes on the Halo. Any hearing company can do them and the sound tubes on the halo use a standard gauge that is part of the hearing aid world. It might have cost me $45, I can wear them all day and they seal tight every time.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I started off by ordering the ones off Amazon suggested by Van Johnston - will try those out and see if I need to look into the other options! :) Cheers.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I started off by ordering the ones off Amazon suggested by Van Johnston - will try those out and see if I need to look into the other options! :) Cheers.
Please let us know your results.

Thanks @Timbeck2 I had not poked around on Amazon but the ones you linked to do seem to match. The other pair I ordered came in but i haven't done any tests yet to see how they compare. I'll try to do a side by side comparison of these and post back here over the weekend.

I've used the Halo's for 4-ish years. Love them - but - I cheated. I had some custom molded earplugs made and that have an elbow connector that connects to the flexible sound tubes on the Halo. Any hearing company can do them and the sound tubes on the halo use a standard gauge that is part of the hearing aid world. It might have cost me $45, I can wear them all day and they seal tight every time.

Any chance you could post a picture? I might be interested in getting custom molded plugz, but I want to be able to should the local audiology business what the elbow bend looks like.

I’m glad it worked out well for you. I just want to add for the newer folks that the guy that makes them doesn’t recommend custom ear molds. This is what he has to say.

Do I need custom earmolds?

NO...Custom earmolds are not recommended for the following reasons...

1. They take time and effort to get
  2. A FULL 30% of all earmolds leak somewhat. The noise spectrum that enters the ear canal with small leaks are the low frequencies...engine noise.
  3. IF you get a good seal, that means it is pneumatic and cannot equalize pressure at various altitudes
  4. they cost range from $80 to $200 / pair making the experiment an expensive one.
Stick with the foams if at all possible.

Again, whatever works is great, just a caution before you spend money on something that might not work for you.

Sure - I will be heading to the airport Sunday and will get a close up. It's was super simple and quick.

What Bluesky posted is from the website. I've not had any problems equalizing pressure - I am only normally aspirated so I am not flying any too high. I cruise around 10K give or take a few thousand for winds/terrain. As far as sound leaks go, I get a consistent seal every time. I have small ear canals and the foam or other tips were hit or miss. I have another set of molded ear plugs that I wear for 10 to 12 hours at a time for other activities and they provide consistent safe hearing protection. Since QT uses sound tubes, it was easy and removes the issue with inconsistent fit.

But everyone's ears are different and each person has a different threshold of what they want or will tolerate. These have worked great for me.

I will get that pic on Sunday

Dean

Ozone - so sorry for the delay - it's been a bit crazier than normal.

Here are the pics. I hope this helps. I know my ears are hard to fit and I didn't like the inconsistencies of the foam or ear tips that came with the QT.

Dean

Custom plug for QT - inside.jpg Custom plug for QT - outside.jpg

For what it's worth I have a set of molded that I purchased at Oshkosh and they don't work worth a dam! Practically no sound deadening at all!

Spotter - sounds like a bad experience.

My plugs were made by the same folks that make hearing aids and hearing protection for commercial workers and shooters. I think they cost me $45.00. I have another pair (without the holes for the sound tubes) - that I shoot with - they provide great protection. I've used them for 7-ish years and my hearing hasn't degraded.

Back to the OP - whatever you chose - I hope you have good luck :)

Dean

For what it's worth I have a set of molded that I purchased at Oshkosh and they don't work worth a dam! Practically no sound deadening at all!

There was a vendor at SnF that wanted something like $229.00 to make an impression of my ears and send the plugs to me in a couple of weeks to fit my CA headset. I politely declined while hearing Al Borland's voice in my head saying, "I don't think so Tim!" o_O

Back