Raptor Aircraft

Did anyone else notice he's seeming just a tad dejected? I sure would be at this point.

As an aside, I thought the sign over his right shoulder looked awfully familiar:

51081401758_2bc3194257_z.jpg

Looking up an old business card, I see its just similar in concept to a design I came up with over 40 years ago:

51082095871_01443d3f42.jpg

It is a tad different, but similarly themed. Bear in mind I came up with my logo pre-home computers using poster board and a Citabria clipped from Jane's!

Did anyone else notice he's seeming just a tad dejected? I sure would be at this point.

As an aside, I thought the sign over his right shoulder looked awfully familiar:

51081401758_2bc3194257_z.jpg

Looking up an old business card, I see its just similar in concept to a design I came up with over 40 years ago:

51082095871_01443d3f42.jpg

It is a tad different, but similarly themed. Bear in mind I came up with my logo pre-home computers using poster board and a Citabria clipped from Jane's!
I noticed his facial expressions as well.

I don’t understand what this part is. Is it supposed to maintain some pressure film like a bearing (I see barely no bearing surface), or act as a hydraulic actuator, or both? Or is he hemorrhaging oil pressure internally because of this silly thing and unable to maintain pressure for the prop governor?

I don’t understand what this part is. Is it supposed to maintain some pressure film like a bearing (I see barely no bearing surface), or act as a hydraulic actuator, or both? Or is he hemorrhaging oil pressure internally because of this silly thing and unable to maintain pressure for the prop governor?

I believe it feeds pressurized oil into the rotating prop shaft through holes in the shaft bored from the sides to meet up with a lengthwise passage through the shaft to the prop governor.

Not amazing at all.

Would you want your name associated with this? :D
No, but there are plenty of airport rats like those on YouTube that you would expect to latch on to him.

No, but there are plenty of airport rats like those on YouTube that you would expect to latch on to him.
I suspect that none of the YouTube fanboys are pilots (other than flight simulators). I recall hearing that there were people at the previous airport and the current one who offered help. They either gave up trying to help or were encouraged to leave.

I suspect that none of the YouTube fanboys are pilots (other than flight simulators). I recall hearing that there were people at the previous airport and the current one who offered help. They either gave up trying to help or were encouraged to leave.

I was around him a bit when he was here at Cherokee (KCNI). Did help a little on some things, but became very apparent that I probably did not want to risk being associated with this project. He tends, at least in my observation, to be very suspicious and wary of anyone trying to help..............

That's because it's not a joke. Not sure what it is, but definitely not a joke.

So you're not missing anything.

Deceased POA member Ben Haas's Ford powered Kitfox seemed to be well engineered and put together.

Yes and no. He had significant engine damage as he learned. Auto engines in airplanes aren’t easy. He also had the mechanical skills to fix it.

He places an awful lot of faith in the aircraft's parking brake and ONE wheel chock on the left main (there's maybe a chunk of... something?... in front of the right main wheel?) to keep it from going anywhere as he's walking around...

I thought the same thing. Aircraft should be tied down. Airport rules probably require it.

On any of the aviation forms, we never seem to hear from the deposit holders. I wonder what they’re thinking about now... Are any of them earnestly expecting kits or plans?

Yeah, rhetorical question.

On any of the aviation forms, we never seem to hear from the deposit holders. I wonder what they’re thinking about now... Are any of them earnestly expecting kits or plans?

Yeah, rhetorical question.

Hi Dave .... a while back I was looking at the Raptor website and he said they had 1500 deposits and were not taking more until production began .... it also said that deposits were only $100 which to me is not much if it failed to go into production .... I dont know if there are any larger investor type deposits.

On that note does anyone know how this project is funded ?? Must be a substantial amount by now.

thanks

At least the Raptor guy can take credit for building one and actually flying it.

Compare that to dreamer-scams like the Moller Skycar ... 40 years and $100 million and has yet to fly.

Latest flying car concept is the PAL-V .... many millions raised since 2012 ... they are not fraudsters ... just some very talented millennium dreamers who want a flying car (who doesn't) .... brilliant marketing keeps money flowing .... if only it would fly.

"Next year" they say .... for 8 years now .... at this point they have road-certified a snazzy 3 wheel type motorcycle that keeps investor interest up .... as far as the flying stuff .... that will be "next year"

At least the Raptor guy can take credit for building one and actually flying it.

Compare that to dreamer-scams like the Moller Skycar ... 40 years and $100 million and has yet to fly.

It flew. Sort've.

Latest flying car concept is the PAL-V .... many millions raised since 2012 ... they are not fraudsters ... just some very talented millennium dreamers who want a flying car (who doesn't) .... brilliant marketing keeps money flowing .... if only it would fly.
Not only do they fly just fine, but they are one of two flying cars that you can actually buy.

I'm not at all impressed with Mr. Raptor. He reengineered a Velocity to be slower and incorrectly installed an auto engine. I see nothing to be impressed with. Now the Dark Aero guys, they're impressive. Wish I had the coin to buy one of their kits.

It flew. Sort've.

Not only do they fly just fine, but they are one of two flying cars that you can actually buy.

I'm not at all impressed with Mr. Raptor. He reengineered a Velocity to be slower and incorrectly installed an auto engine. I see nothing to be impressed with. Now the Dark Aero guys, they're impressive. Wish I had the coin to buy one of their kits.
I wish you could actually buy one of their kits. Still yet to fly. So their numbers are like Peter's initial numbers. Spit out by a computer....or just plain made up.

The cool thing with DarkAero is that it's not haphazard and not driven from a source of "I think this; thus it must be right"

Their engineering methods seem much more "traditional" and based on science. They seem like a professional shop. I'm rooting for them.

The cool thing with DarkAero is that it's not haphazard and not driven from a source of "I think this; thus it must be right"

Their engineering methods seem much more "traditional" and based on science. They seem like a professional shop. I'm rooting for them.
I wasn't trying to knock dark aero. Those boys seem smart with an actual engineering background. But at this point they don't really have anything to show for it. Are they youtuber's or kit manufacturers. Right now its the former. Also, the planform itself, not sure how successful it can be. I don't know what that market is. Even if I had the money for a kit it wouldn't fit my mission. But that's just me.

I wasn't trying to knock dark aero. Those boys seem smart with an actual engineering background. But at this point they don't really have anything to show for it. Are they youtuber's or kit manufacturers. Right now its the former. Also, the planform itself, not sure how successful it can be. I don't know what that market is. Even if I had the money for a kit it wouldn't fit my mission. But that's just me.

They have an almost completed, properly designed aircraft with a proven powerplant. They put out maybe one short video a week rather than a rambling mess every couple of days. They already have detailed build instructions, developed as they went along, and 100 deposits.

I'm pretty confident in their success.

They have an almost completed, properly designed aircraft with a proven powerplant. They put out maybe one short video a week rather than a rambling mess every couple of days. They already have detailed build instructions, developed as they went along, and 100 deposits.
upload_2021-4-9_16-25-43.png
Ron Wanttaja

Their proposed empty weight and extremely optimistic performance claims give me pause. A 200 hp RV weights more than 1000 lbs and cruises at 210 mph. DarkAero claims their 200 hp, retractable gear airplane will weigh 750 pounds and cruise at 275 mph. It doesn't seem likely. At least they had the sense to choose a existing aero engine. Hopefully they will come up with a successful airplane, even if it doesn't meet these claims.

Didn't peter have 1500 deposits? I have no doubt dar aero will eventually fly. Something I doubted Pete's would. Well, I thought Raptor would fly... briefly. Didn't think it would land. Dark aero had said previously flight testing would take place in 2020. They'll be lucky if they get it done this year. I'd be willing to bet they're much closer to target weight than Raptor, although that's not saying much. They weigh each part and are very methodical and deliberate. Is there a market for a fast, small 2 place? At their price point? Or will it be a swearingen?

Back