Any reason this time wouldn't count?

RocktheWings

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RocktheWings
A couple years ago while doing helicopter training I was offered to fly in the right seat on a CE-525, single pilot jet. The owner at the time added me to their insurance and did all the paperwork to make it happen. The pilot was an MEI and offered to give me instruction all along the way as he flew from place to place. It was a really great experience and learned quite a bit about the jet, FMS, procedural things, and then eventually migrated towards flying entire legs. Pretty cool.

Fast forward to today, I finally knocked out my commercial multi and getting ready to start applying for airlines. Question is, is this time ok to count? Right now I sit at 20 hours of multi, 12 from the jet, 8 from the commercial addon and deciding if I should tack on 5 more, or drop a significantly larger chunk of money (17 hours or so) to hit the hiring minimums of 25.

Legally I see no reason why I couldn't count the previous time as dual received, non-pic, etc for my total multi time (as it's all signed off in my logbook), but would I be laughed out of an interview?

I do not have the answer, but the airlines are looking for ATP qualifications. I do not know how many regional airlines are even in hiring mode these days.

Surprisingly there are a few hiring. PSA as one example. I expect the experience required to be competitive has gone up from a year ago but don’t know for sure.

Surprisingly there are a few hiring. PSA as one example. I expect the experience required to be competitive has gone up from a year ago but don’t know for sure.
Agreed, but without ATP minimums i don’t think it’s even possible.

I do not have the answer, but the airlines are looking for ATP qualifications. I do not know how many regional airlines are even in hiring mode these days.

This was a very helpful and thought out post.

(How’m I doing?)

Don't forget R-ATP mins. But the 25 hours of multi is hard and fast.

A couple years ago while doing helicopter training I was offered to fly in the right seat on a CE-525, single pilot jet. The owner at the time added me to their insurance and did all the paperwork to make it happen. The pilot was an MEI and offered to give me instruction all along the way as he flew from place to place. It was a really great experience and learned quite a bit about the jet, FMS, procedural things, and then eventually migrated towards flying entire legs. Pretty cool.

Fast forward to today, I finally knocked out my commercial multi and getting ready to start applying for airlines. Question is, is this time ok to count? Right now I sit at 20 hours of multi, 12 from the jet, 8 from the commercial addon and deciding if I should tack on 5 more, or drop a significantly larger chunk of money (17 hours or so) to hit the hiring minimums of 25.

Legally I see no reason why I couldn't count the previous time as dual received, non-pic, etc for my total multi time (as it's all signed off in my logbook), but would I be laughed out of an interview?
Counting it as multi engine instruction is completely legit. Shouldn’t be a problem with an airline interview.

What gets people in trouble is trying to log SIC in a single pilot certified airplanes like CE-525s

Counting it as multi engine instruction is completely legit. Shouldn’t be a problem with an airline interview.

What gets people in trouble is trying to log SIC in a single pilot certified airplanes like CE-525s
Agreed. An airline should have no problem with flight time legitimately logged per 61.51. Whether they "count" it as experience for their purposes is up to them.

Agreed. An airline should have no problem with flight time legitimately logged per 61.51. Whether they "count" it as experience for their purposes is up to them.

The 25 hours doesn't have to be PIC? If he got the instruction before he got his add-on can he count it?

This was a very helpful and thought out post.

(How’m I doing?)
Not sure if you’re joking or not, but yes, seeing as though the main concern of the OP was getting to an airline, I thought my post added some insight.

As has been stated, as described it may be logged as dual instruction received in a multiengine airplane -- not PIC, nor SIC.

The 25 hours doesn't have to be PIC? If he got the instruction before he got his add-on can he count it?
Of course he can if he legitimately logs and counts it. Sounds like he is, no?
Legally I see no reason why I couldn't count the previous time as dual received, non-pic, etc for my total multi time
Obviously, if asked for PIC time, it doesn't count. But didn't you count your dual as a non-rated student pilot in your total time?

In today’s hiring, you’ll probably want to have more multi than just the minimum. I don’t see why your time in that jet wouldn’t count as dual received. I’ve got 2 hours of dual received in a Bell 407 in my logbook.

You said the MEI gave you instruction and you migrated to flying entire legs. Why would you question that this is legitimate instruction?

Back