Flight following question

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
Hi ya'll: What’s the proper way to request termination of flight following before having your destination in sight? Do you just say “[CALLSIGN] request terminate radar services?”

And what if they tell you to stay with them? If you’re not inside of a B, C, or D there’s no requirement to do so, right? It might be rude, but would you be able to tell you are not staying with them and you are changing frequency and going back to squawking 1200?

Hi ya'll: What’s the proper way to request termination of flight following before having your destination in sight? Do you just say “[CALLSIGN] request terminate radar services?”

That would work, more common would probably be just "request frequency change."

And what if they tell you to stay with them? If you’re not inside of a B, C, or D there’s no requirement to do so, right? It might be rude, but would you be able to tell you are not staying with them and you are changing frequency and going back to squawking 1200?

Being in airspace where ATC communication is not required doesn't mean you can disobey instructions. See 14 CFR §91.123.

Usually "cancel radar services" rather than "request terminate," but otherwise yes.

They won't ask you to stay with them, unless they give you an option for a reason, e.g. "traffic in 10 miles same altitude, opposite direction, do you want to stay with us until you pass?" Ordinarily (in my experience) they assume you're asking because you have one radio and want to change to CTAF, or something like that. If you explicitly request cancelation, they'll assume you're doing it for a reason.

And sure, if they try to weirdly keep you on freq (can't imagine why they would), you can just say "unable."

Request terminate radar services is fine. If they say to stay with them, that’s an instruction, FAR 91.123 (b) applies.

Last edited:
"Cancel flight following" is most common, probably because "cancel" is standard in many other contexts. "Cancel landing clearance." "Cancel takeoff clearance." "Cancel IFR." But any simple English phrase which gets the point across gets the job done.

Yes there is a requirement. It's far 91.123(b). "Except in an emergency, no person may operate an aircraft contrary to an ATC instruction in an area in which air traffic control is exercised."

Class E is controlled airspace. Controlled airspace is, by definition, airspace where air traffic control is exercised.

I just say that I’ve got the airport in-sight and can squawk VFR.

To answer the second question, I’ve only ever had them hold me longer due to traffic, but even then it doesn’t happen often at all.

On the ‘airport in sight’ thang. Controllers have no requirement to ask you to report it although most seem to. You have no requirement to report it, unless the tell you to of course. And of course if you needed and asked for help finding the airport. Flight Following is about getting Traffic Advisories, not finding the airport. The flip side to ATC telling you to stay with them is, when you report the airport in sight they just automatically terminate you right then. Maybe you’d like to stay on Flight Following for awhile if you see the airport from a long way off. There can be SAR issues to think about. A side benefit to Flight Following is you are being watched and kept track of.

Last edited:
you - "N1234R would like to cancel flight following at this time."
them - "N1234R radar services terminated squawk VFR frequency change approved."
you - "N1234R switching SEEEEEEYA." <----- make sure you say the seeeeya part. It will make you sound like a pro pilot. They love it.

What’s the proper way to request termination of flight following before having your destination in sight? Do you just say “[CALLSIGN] request terminate radar services?”
I'm a bit friendlier.. "Awesome Aztec would like to cancel flight following at this time" .. and they'll usually say something like either "frequency changed approved, squawk VFR" .. or "frequency change approved but keep the beacon code" (if I'm going to a controlled airport) or "stay with me a few more miles, got some traffic below you" ..

It's pretty busy in the LAX area so that third option is more common than you'd think.. in many cases around here flight following will have assigned altitudes and headings.. more than a few times I've asked to cancel and been "denied" (so to speak). Remember, FF also helps ATC, not just the pilot.

Even though you may not ACTUALLY have it in sight..."Norcal, Sklane 345, Airport in Sight"...is the subtle friendly hint for "Hey, I want a frequency change"...or if you are approaching a Delta..."Hey, did you forget to hand me off?" call you can make.

...or just "cancel Fight Following"

I wait for them to tell me squawk VFR or not...often times they will keep me on the code even though I get a frequency change.

If they tell you to "stay with them" there is usually a reason and if I need to make a CTAF call or start monitoring CTAF I do it on com 2 while monitoring ATC on Com 1.

This exact point was discussed on the finer points podcast (Nov 18, 2020 episode) where he discussed this situation with an aviation attorney - and the answer is that is INCORRECT, you are required to stay with them if they request it if you are in controlled airspace. Although there is no obligation to participate in FF in Class E, once you engage ATC you must follow their instructions.

On the ‘airport in sight’ thang. Controllers have no requirement to ask you to report it although most seem to. You have no requirement to report it, unless the tell you to of course. And of course if you needed and asked for help finding the airport. Flight Following is about getting Traffic Advisories, not finding the airport. The flip side to ATC telling you to stay with them is, when you report the airport in sight they just automatically terminate you right then. Maybe you’d like to stay on Flight Following for awhile if you see the airport from a long way off. There can be SAR issues to think about. A side benefit to Flight Following is you are being watched and kept track of.

I tell pilots/students "Airport in site" is unofficial code for I would like sqwawk VFR and to change frequencies. if the controller hasn't got the message, the I can specifically ask to change frequency.
usually works in the areas I fly, your mileage may vary.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I tell pilots/students "Airport in site" is unofficial code for I would like sqwawk VFR and to change frequencies. if the controller hasn't got the message, the I can specifically ask to change frequency.
usually works in the areas I fly, your mileage may vary.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Gotcha. That's how most Controllers seem to take it to. So if you don't want to be Terminated as soon as you see it, don't say it until you are ready. My mileage does vary some. I never report it unless asked. Then I don't until I am ready to be done with them and go over to CTAF. And if I'm ready to go over to CTAF, don't see the airport, but have no need for them to help me find it, I lie and say I see it so I don't have to get into a conversation with a Controller who doesn't understand they have no requirement to get an airport in sight report from me.

Gotcha. That's how most Controllers seem to take it to. So if you don't want to be Terminated as soon as you see it, don't say it until you are ready. My mileage does vary some. I never report it unless asked. Then I don't until I am ready to be done with them and go over to CTAF. And if I'm ready to go over to CTAF, don't see the airport, but have no need for them to help me find it, I lie and say I see it so I don't have to get into a conversation with a Controller who doesn't understand they have no requirement to get an airport in sight report from me.
yeahthat.gif
exactly, I usually end up using "Airport in site" when I am getting close enough airport that I think the controller might have forgot about me. Other times when I just want to change early enough to see what is going on at the airport (AWOS/CTAF).

Brian

you - "N1234R would like to cancel flight following at this time."
them - "N1234R radar services terminated squawk VFR frequency change approved."
you - "N1234R switching SEEEEEEYA." <----- make sure you say the seeeeya part. It will make you sound like a pro pilot. They love it.

If you really want to sound like a pro, add in “1200 in the box and nothing on the fish finder.”

Back