Recertification after stroke

thedude

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
thedude
Hey all. I've read all the info from AOPA and what I can find here. I had a mini stroke with no lasting cognitive or motor impairments. I'm trying to read between the lines of much of this guidance where it says it's possible to recertified, you can get certified, you may need certain info, etc. I guess what I'm looking for is some personal experiences and what the decision criteria is. Thanks.

Hey all. I've read all the info from AOPA and what I can find here. I had a mini stroke with no lasting cognitive or motor impairments. I'm trying to read between the lines of much of this guidance where it says it's possible to recertified, you can get certified, you may need certain info, etc. I guess what I'm looking for is some personal experiences and what the decision criteria is. Thanks.

Sorry for your problems, search for strokes and tia here, there have been other cases, I think at a minimum you have to go a period of time with no issues and probably a cog screen. Stay healthy. Hopefully a doc will chime in.

Just ran across your post as I just experienced a TIA last week, and am still in the midst of getting it figured out, with an upcoming MRI, and a heart monitor for a month.

Curious how you are doing. I hope you're doing well!

I posted here a while back on my diagnosis of TIA ... I still half argue with myself that diagnosis is incorrect but as far as I know, there’s no way to prove it was or wasn’t, so I’m stuck with it.
Wondering lately if there’s a path to go from basic med to Sport Pilot after the penalty box period, or if all roads back to any flyable medical status lead back to and through a Class III?

For basic med, you need to get one SI of a third class. Stroke is one of the three categories that mandate that.
For sport pilot, as long as the FAA has not withdrawn your certificate, you can fly.

For basic med, you need to get one SI of a third class. Stroke is one of the three categories that mandate that.
For sport pilot, as long as the FAA has not withdrawn your certificate, you can fly.
agree with this from what I've read, but what isn't explicitly addressed or I cannot find (and really don't want to ask officially yet)

My scenario:
- 3rd class with SI for sleep apnea for many years
- converted to basic med and flew for some years - 3rd class and SI expired early on in this period
- diagnosed with TIA ... not flying now - accepted the 2 year grounding

at the end of that grounding ...
- to renew Basic Med means earning an FAA 3rd class with SI for Sleep Apnea again, as well as SI for TIA, then once again reverting to Basic Med
- but at a glance, it appears LSA is an option, as the FAA did not withdraw my certificate ... I'm sure there's a gotcha in there somewhere

No gotcha. As long as you can self certify you can fly LSA assuming you have a valid drivers license. Remember the FAA doesn't care if you kill yourself they just want to limit the number of people you take with you.

Please do not use the term "self certify." There's no medical "self-certification" anymore. That was a term that USED to apply to glider pilots. Now all a sport pilot needs is:
1. To have not had a prior certificate denied or withdrawn.
2. Obey the terms of any driver's license restrictions
3. Not know of any condition that would preclude safe operation of the aircraft.

Every pilot is responsible to not operate an aircraft when he knows he has a deficiency that precludes safe operation. This again is not a "certification" self or otherwise.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back