Newbie with plane purchase question

RomeoTango

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RomeoTango
Hello

I am new to aviation (less than 7 hours on my logbook) and have a plane purchasing question:

I have spotted an aircraft at my "local" airport. Price is good for me for a newbie to work on getting training/keep flying to build hours. Right now I am getting flight training at another airport, and it's become a bit of an issue with the CFI and his schedule. I only get him for about an hour a week. So the thought of having my own plane to work on training and building hours, and finding a CFI at the local airport is appealing from a time and cost standpoint.

My question: Should I go to get a mechanic to do the pre-purchase from another airport far away from where this airport is, or trust the local mechanic who worked on it? My goal is to keep the plane at this airport (I think I can get the owner's tie down spot also), as this will be convenient to me. I don't know the owner nor the mechanics (like I said, new to aviation), but generally speaking I know the recommendation for pre-purchase is to use an outside mechanic.

Before I go through all of that, wanted to get some feedback from more knowledgeable folks on this board.

Thanks in advance

RT

I’d get the opinions of the mechanic working on it but I’d get someone else (the current mechanic doesn’t know) to inspect it.

Yes find a different mechanic. You are looking for an independent look.

I would also put an offer in it now as the market is fairly hot for planes. Then do your pre buy.

Your offer contract should have exit clauses if the pre buy turns up anything big, much like buying a house.

I would go ask the current mechanic about it. You will certainly learn something. If you then still want to pursue a purchase, find an independent evaluation.

Should I go to get a mechanic to do the pre-purchase from another airport
I always recommend to get the APIA you will have maintain your new aircraft to do the pre-buy.

Back