Magnus Fusion in Colorado

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/04/magnus-fusion-212-n434ma-fatal-accident.html

Doing a bit of investigation with FlightAware going back to the end of January....the airplane's been in Kerrville, TX. Going back and forth on fairly short trips around hill country. In March, flew up to Hobbs, NM, then Los Alamos and on to Front Range...er...Colorado Air and Carport. Stayed in town (or left the airplane) for a couple weeks. Took off from there on Saturday, crashed Sat afternoon. I was there Saturday afternoon, but left about 3 pm. Didn't notice the Magnus on the ramp, which took off about 5 pm.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N434MA

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N434MA/history

Looking at the map from KCFO to the crash site, it appears once away from KAPA, the pilot went west then followed a road to the crash site. FlightAware indicates the airplane never went above 8000 MSL. Not good in that part of the state. Following roads in that area, also not a good idea.

I wonder if...a new owner, who hadn't changed the registration yet (or the FAA hadn't gotten it yet), as well as not being familiar with the area SW of Denver. I've flown that area (as have many of the CO folks) and I definitely want to be above 11K around there. My preferred route is south to Perry Park and then west-southwest. But I have no clue the pilot's intended destination.

Heads off westbound from KCFO into the mountains of Colorado, flying the canyons well below the peaks in a 100 hp LSA, 2-1/2 hours before official dusk? :confused2::nonod:

Last edited:
The "road" appears to be a blue line otherwise known as the South Platte. Apparently flew up the river valley/canyon until contact was lost. Crash seems to be in a wilderness area. Access reported to be a difficult hike with crash site on a steep slope.

Just as a reminder to folks visiting the hills, one of the rules of mountain flying is never/never/never fly *up* a canyon. There's an old FAA training video on the subject.

The "road" appears to be a blue line otherwise known as the South Platte. Apparently flew up the river valley/canyon until contact was lost. Crash seems to be in a wilderness area. Access reported to be a difficult hike with crash site on a steep slope.

Just as a reminder to folks visiting the hills, one of the rules of mountain flying is never/never/never fly *up* a canyon. There's an old FAA training video on the subject.
I fly up canyons all the time, BUT, you always have to have an out. Proper technique is the key, horsepower can help though!

Sad. Not a place to be out of altitude and ideas. New (to him) airplane. I'm not familiar with the plane either. Still sad to hear. Flying in the mountains requires additional escape options. It's wonderful, just make sure you have plenty of options when some or your options disappear.

I fly up canyons all the time, BUT, you always have to have an out. Proper technique is the key, horsepower can help though!
You don't want to sell me death sticks.

I remember seeing the sales ad for that plane recently but it’s no longer posted so your theory of a new owner at the controls might be accurate.

FAA database shows the crash victim as owning (or owned) a couple of LSAs: Pipistrel, and TL-2000 Sting. Maybe he overestimated the abilities of this one?

did I read correctly this had a Rotax 80 hp engine? Yeah, in my mind with zero experience with that, seems like not a lot of HP for that altitude/elevation

FAA database shows the crash victim as owning (or owned) a couple of LSAs: Pipistrel, and TL-2000 Sting. Maybe he overestimated the abilities of this one?
No Medical Information Available (which makes senses as SP)
Certificate: SPORT PILOT
Date of Issue: 2/13/2018
Limits:
SPORT ENDORSEMENT(S) AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND.
HOLDER DOES NOT MEET ICAO REQUIREMENTS.

Comment from news report
"It was not the first time Lewis had crashed an airplane. Back in May of 2019, he walked away after making a crash landing of another light sport aircraft southwest of the Salida Airport."
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/04/magnus-fusion-212-n434ma-fatal-accident.html
The first half is the crash April 2021, the bottom part of the article discusses the May 2019 crash. Check out the Recommendation section.

No Medical Information Available (which makes senses as SP)
Certificate: SPORT PILOT
Date of Issue: 2/13/2018
Limits:
SPORT ENDORSEMENT(S) AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND.
HOLDER DOES NOT MEET ICAO REQUIREMENTS.

Comment from news report
"It was not the first time Lewis had crashed an airplane. Back in May of 2019, he walked away after making a crash landing of another light sport aircraft southwest of the Salida Airport."
The first half is the crash April 2021, the bottom part of the article discusses the May 2019 crash. Check out the Recommendation section.
Looks like that crash took out the Pipistrel.

Heads off westbound from KCFO into the mountains of Colorado, flying the canyons well below the peaks in a 100 hp LSA, 2-1/2 hours before official dusk? :confused2::nonod:

Most 100 hp LSAs can out-climb your average 172.

Not by enough to make a difference up in the rocks when their engines are only producing 2/3 of that HP before they hit the orographic winds.

Definitely not enough to fly “up valley” instead of using pass crossings properly with an “out”.

And how is this in any way relevant in this set of circumstances and location?

Other than perhaps the unfortunate pilot also thought the above factoid was adequate reason to head westbound flying down in the canyons heading into the rising terrain of the Divide in a 100 hp LSA as dusk approached?

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago I flew my CGS Hawk with 65hp rotax up to 11,600 and landed (on skis) at 11,200. I flew up the valleys to get there, doing a few shuttle climbs along the way. Hug the right side of the valley, know where you are going to go all the time with a failure to climb, downdraft, or problem. Pay attention to where the wind is from and what that means for updrafts, downdrafts and otherwise unpleasantness in a small plane. In my flying go cart, I stay close to the surface, like within 200' in steep terrain, I can always turn away and down drainage. I also fly only when the wind is very low, at 710 pounds loaded, you feel everything. But, sometimes you get up high and the winds are totally different, practice will tell you where to find the ups and downs.
When flying up drainage, always be able to turn around, if there is not enough room, you are too low.

Back