Black Jelly Bean Rant [N/A obviously]

Deelee

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Deelee
Why do you people hate them so much?

I love 'em. So this isn't a rant, I guess. Because, of the many many bags my wife bought for Easter, there are now about 4 fruit flavoured jelly beans remaining in my house and approximately 3,235 black licorice ones. Which I love. Which I shouldn't be eating by the handful. But I am. So this is a rant.

Be careful what you wish for...;)

Be careful what you wish for

I wish my wife wouldn't buy enough Easter candy for a small village when we only have one child in the house. I can't stay away from the stash. I need someone to throw it all out. I have no self control around black licorice jelly beans.

Black ones have always been my favorite.

I'm just glad someone likes the licorice ones.

Maybe it is a pilot thing. We have something in our blood chemistry that makes us like black licorice and also spending too much money on aero-planes.

Another black jelly bean/licorice fan here.

I should have made this a poll.... I think we are on to something here. People who operate flying machines also like black licorice. I should have done this study for my 7th grade science fair project.

Ditto........................also licorice ice cream
OMG. Go to Denmark. Those Danes love their licorice. We bought a box of licorice dipped ice cream bars, with a lump of licorice in the center. And a bottle of chili and licorice Gammel Dansk, which is a hell of a lot more drinkable than regular Gammel Dansk. But, yeah... in Copenhagen you can find pretty much licorice anything imaginable. I felt like I’d finally found my peeps. :)

Don't like the black jelly beans. </ contrarian>

Wait... paywall.... But that headline - "54-Year-Old Man with Sudden Cardiac Arrest"

Please tell me he didn't binge-eat like 100 black jelly beans.....

.... because I may have done that.

Yeah, licorice candies for 3 weeks. Potassium imbalance. I edited my post and used a more mainstream article.

As a kid i used my love of black jelly beans to my advantage at home. Would take my alloted share making sure i got only regular flavors. Then when the jellies were all gone except black mom would say you can have the rest. When theres 4 kids the dedication to maximizing candy intake knows no bounds.

OMG. Go to Denmark. Those Danes love their licorice. We bought a box of licorice dipped ice cream bars, with a lump of licorice in the center. And a bottle of chili and licorice Gammel Dansk, which is a hell of a lot more drinkable than regular Gammel Dansk. But, yeah... in Copenhagen you can find pretty much licorice anything imaginable. I felt like I’d finally found my peeps. :)

AHAA !!!! ... that explains it .... I was born here but both my parents were from Denmark ... and yes , we love our licorice.

Topped only by Danish Marzipan Christmas pigs .... best in the world ... had a grandmother who sent us a box every year.

danish marzipan pigs.JPG

Recently bought this, 2lb bag.
(Not available from this supplier but plenty of others out there)
Like them but they are honking big, like a kidney bean.
Have been looking for the smaller ones.

licorice allsorts.JPG .

Not to forget licorice allsorts ..... especially the small decorated ones .... soft interior bursting with full licorice flavor.

Two words. Jelly Belly.

And the Budweiser brewery, next door, is a reporting point for KAPC.

I've been known to buy bags of all black ones...

Keeping only black jelly beans is, perhaps, like ordering an anchovy pizza.

You know you are the only one who is gonna eat it.
Ha... We used to pick up Papa Murphy's once a week. Occasionally I'd order one with anchovies. They'd make the pizza without them, then hand me the pizza and a tin of anchovies. Said they found that opening a tin was good for one pizza before they had to toss them, no one ever ordered anchovies. I love the little guys.

Ha... We used to pick up Papa Murphy's once a week. Occasionally I'd order one with anchovies. They'd make the pizza without them, then hand me the pizza and a tin of anchovies. Said they found that opening a tin was good for one pizza before they had to toss them, no one ever ordered anchovies. I love the little guys.

Our Papa Murphy's does the same thing. They are an economical way to pizza, however. Not as good as our local mini chain, but good enough.

I am not diabetic, but I might be now after reading this thread....

When I was a kid I worked in an upscale restaurant that served steak , ribs , and pizza. About once a year somebody would order an anchovy pizza. When kitchen staff opened the tin they would gag and puke from the awful smell .... once in the oven the aroma would spread to the dining room .... customers would tell us to check the bathrooms because is smelled like we had a sewer backup.

Most licorice gets its flavor from anise, not licorice - according to Wiki.

Licorice - the real stuff - can seriously **** with you blood pressure in a really bad way. I like licorice, but can't eat it - I've seen what it does to my BP.

When I was a kid I worked in an upscale restaurant that served steak , ribs , and pizza. About once a year somebody would order an anchovy pizza. When kitchen staff opened the tin they would gag and puke from the awful smell .... once in the oven the aroma would spread to the dining room .... customers would tell us to check the bathrooms because is smelled like we had a sewer backup.

Kinda melodramatic, don’t you think? They really don’t have much aroma, unless you leave them out for a few days.

Kinda melodramatic, don’t you think? They really don’t have much aroma, unless you leave them out for a few days.

No drama added .... when you open a can of fermented anchovies it smells like rotten fish stored in a sewer.

So hungry for pizza now...

Licorice jelly beans? To me, the only thing worse (jelly bean wise) are the coffee flavored ones. Can not stand those! Yuck.

Of course I have had only one cup of coffee in my 54 years. Awful, nasty, vile stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Of course I have had only one cup of coffee in my 54 years. Awful, nasty, vile stuff!
OUCH .... that hurt .... haaaa ..... I am a confirmed coffee-holic .... 7 cups per day in my retirement years .... when working was 10 to 15 .... 3 heaping teaspoons of sugar in each .... I am 69 , 150lbs , 30" waist , blood sugar levels always perfect .

Occasional tea .... Stash Licorice Spice ... great taste ..... naturally sweet but I add a bit more sugar of course.

When my friends go into diabetic shock watching me pour sugar in my coffee I point out that a can of Pepsi has more .

I mainline a 4kg (8.8lb) bag of sugar per month in my coffee ... folks who do a lot of baking blow thru that every week and think nothing of it .... funny how our minds work sometimes

Back