ILS Required?

I think some of the older units do the Course To thing also. But [push] [twist] sure beats click push click click click......click push, repeat, repeat, repeat........
Spinning the GPS knob is an option on some units.

My concern would be how will you get down in the event of a GPS outage? I could be wrong (probably am!) but I don’t think the 175 can fly a ground based NAV approach like a 430 etc. can. The FAA is keeping ILS approaches as a backup. I like redundancy and would keep the 155 indicator and buy a new one for the 175. My $0.02 worth.

The obs on a gps will let you set the bearing to a waypoint as opposed to a Direct-To. I’ve never used it, but that is what it does.

Yes, that’s what allows you to effectively use it for a VOR. Not literally to replace the use of the ground based VOR station, but while everything is operational, you can fly it as if it is a VOR.

Back to that? Is he telling you literally that? That the FAR’s or something say you can’t fly a plane IFR if it doesn’t have an ILS in it? That being asked I think the above few posts are sage advice.
He told me that he can't install a GPS 175 and use our current Ki209 without having an ILS also. We bought the KI209 specifically because we knew we could use it on a GPS someday. That's always been the plan. This guy just always seems to come up with an excuse why it's going to cost thousands of dollars more than expected. Yes, it would be nice to have an ILS but truthfully, we don't fly for a living, never fly minimums and if GPS goes out, we can fly a VOR approach or possibly something else. I'll probably just bite the bullet, it just makes me feel like I shouldn't trust this guy, he seems to make his own rules.

You don't need a second GS to comply with IFR rule. But you have the equipment. Move the KX155 with the KI209 down to #2 position and get a compatible Indicator for the GPS 175. This way you will have both Vnav (WAAS-Satellite) and conventional GS (ILS). A compatible NAV indicator could be a GI106A, KI209A, KI206, MD200-306, KNI520, KNI510, IND-351, among others

He told me that he can't install a GPS 175 and use our current Ki209 without having an ILS also. We bought the KI209 specifically because we knew we could use it on a GPS someday. That's always been the plan. This guy just always seems to come up with an excuse why it's going to cost thousands of dollars more than expected. Yes, it would be nice to have an ILS but truthfully, we don't fly for a living, never fly minimums and if GPS goes out, we can fly a VOR approach or possibly something else. I'll probably just bite the bullet, it just makes me feel like I shouldn't trust this guy, he seems to make his own rules.

Gotcha

I’m curious. What shop is telling you this?

Back