VFR - Our Three Hounds to Porterville on a Lunch Flight

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
Whether across the country or off to lunch, it doesn’t get any better than traveling with our lovable “45 mph couch potatoes”. Welcome aboard! Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot

Thanks for sharing. Cool dogs. Sounds like the Airway Cafe is a nice airport restaurant?

The Mrs and I have been talking about trip down to Santa Barbara. Other then the coastal fog, any other considerations for a vfr pilot? Also, any suggestions on parking overnight? Thanks!

Thanks for sharing. Cool dogs. Sounds like the Airway Cafe is a nice airport restaurant?

The Mrs and I have been talking about trip down to Santa Barbara. Other then the coastal fog, any other considerations for a vfr pilot? Also, any suggestions on parking overnight? Thanks!
Thanks for checking out the video. Yes, the Airway Cafe in Porterville is quite good.

On Santa Barbara, since it's home base I don't really have any info on FBO selection or fees for overnight. Atlantic is on the beach side of the airport and would be a reasonable walk to the beach (however I believe the beach restaurant recently closed). Signature (where I am) on the north side is pleasant and provides good service. Nothing tricky at all about landing or departing KSBA, just time it to avoid the late spring/early summer morning marine layer. If winds aloft are stiff and northerly, be careful when crossing at GVO as the ridge can generate some rollers. Let me know if you're planning to come down and maybe we can sync up for lunch.
Thanks!
Wayne

Thanks for the information. If we make a trip to Santa Barbara, I’ll reach out to you.

The guy at the Center knew who you are. Probably on his best behavior knowing everything he says is going to get out there:) How do you secure the dogs back there?

The guy at the Center knew who you are. Probably on his best behavior knowing everything he says is going to get out there:) How do you secure the dogs back there?
The shoutout from LA Center was a big after-the-fact surprise. Since I've never gotten one before (only the real aviation YouTubers get shoutouts :)), I didn't even catch it until editing the clip. So, props to LA Center!

On securing the dogs... well, they are quite literally couch potatoes and are lying down 98% of the time we're airborne, so they are unrestrained in the backseat area, with the seats folded down, and a memory foam mattress that they lie on.

Thanks for watching!
Wayne

I grew up in ptv, learned to fly there too, it was nice to see my old stomping grounds here, I had many a good meals at the airway cafe. I bailed out of cali a couple of years ago, not much to miss, lol

I’m glad you had a nice flight and a good meal

I grew up in ptv, learned to fly there too, it was nice to see my old stomping grounds here, I had many a good meals at the airway cafe. I bailed out of cali a couple of years ago, not much to miss, lol

I’m glad you had a nice flight and a good meal
Glad you enjoyed the video, and indeed the Airway Cafe makes a good meal. All the best!
Wayne

Back