Flying with 2 GoPro MAX 360 Cameras

Jakey

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jakey
First attempt at videoing our flight with 2 GoPro Max 360 Cameras.

That's very cool! I recently got a 360 camera and taking it on it's first flight tomorrow so I'll play around with it but unfortunately can't mount externally so it will have to be shots from inside.

...I recently got a 360 camera and taking it on it's first flight tomorrow so I'll play around with it but unfortunately can't mount externally so it will have to be shots from inside.

We knew there would be significant sacrifices you'd just have to make when you said you were dumping the SR22 for a kerosene burner :D

Clearly my video production skills need some work but here’s a first quick video

Is the camera tracking the horizon? It almost looks like it's not connected to the plane and is staying level. Very different effect.

There are accelerometers and gyros in the camera and it levels the horizon automatically in post. Unless you turn off the leveling, you never even see the goofy twisting and turning camera work.

Is the camera tracking the horizon? It almost looks like it's not connected to the plane and is staying level. Very different effect.

The GoPro Max camera has 2 lenses and takes a single clip. No camera movement involved. Tracking the horizon is all done in post with the video editor software, GoPro Player. Really fun to play with.

I’m super curious about these! We have a GoPro mount in the plane that looks forward, but I’d love to get one of these external on our plane.

I follow some pilots, notably bananasssssssss (no idea how many esses, ha!), and he always has really cool shots of his Cub.

I’m super curious about these! We have a GoPro mount in the plane that looks forward, but I’d love to get one of these external on our plane.
I'm working on a video now that talks about how to do a 360 video, the camera and the software. I'll post it here when it's through cooking in the video oven.

I'm working on a video now that talks about how to do a 360 video, the camera and the software. I'll post it here when it's through cooking in the video oven.

Looking forward to it! :)

Here's a video where I explain how I did my GoPro Max 360 video. Mounting the cameras and editing the clips in post.

Nicely done!! ^^^^^^

Can you attach an external mic to the Max to catch radio/intercom (not on the wing, of course) I know some of the other GoPro's do.

Thanks!

Jim

Can you attach an external mic to the Max to catch radio/intercom (not on the wing, of course) I know some of the other GoPro's do.
Thanks! I don't think so. Here's an blog article about it:
https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Can-I-use-an-external-mic-with-the-GoPro-Max/td-p/421666

I always have a GoPro Hero 7 mounted inside the cockpit for sound and recording piloting stuff. There is a cord for capturing intercom/ATC on Amazon.
https://amzn.to/3uorja0

Here's and older video that talks about capturing audio: (for a GoPro Hero 4. I've updated since then to a newer cable for the GoPro Hero 7)

Thanks for the link, Jakey. I've got my Drift rigged out for grabbing comms. We flew our first flight with the Max yesterday...not ready for prime time yet.

Jim

Thanks for the link, Jakey. I've got my Drift rigged out for grabbing comms. We flew our first flight with the Max yesterday...not ready for prime time yet.

Jim

Cool! Can't wait to see it!

Back