Lube differences

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Parker O-ring lube
EZ Turn fuel lube

Are these similar enough to use for the same purposes?
Anyone know where to find the compound contents, maybe we can tell that way.

(I have enough Parkers to last a lifetime, choking on ASSCo's $22 for 5oz Fuel lube.)

Define same purposes. But they are 2 different products: thin grease vs a paste. Best practice is to follow OEM recommended products. For example, some oring lubes are silicon based and should not be used in certain installs. Same with some fuel lubes used.
Check the MSDS sheets. But some properties maybe excluded if they are a trade secret.

Isn't EZ Lube a thread sealant? For use in applications such as installing a quick drain on a fuel tank, where the parts do not move one relative to the other once installed (unlike many O-ring applications, where it's a lubricant to preserve the rubber especially in reciprocating or rotary motion situations)?

Are you trying to use the Parker lube in a fuel application?

Last edited:
Isn't EZ Lube a thread sealant? For use in applications such as installing a quick drain on a fuel tank, where the parts do not move one relative to the other once installed (unlike many O-ring applications, where it's a lubricant to preserve the rubber especially in reciprocating or rotary motion situations)?

It is intended to be used as either, and is non-hardening. As mentioned above, it does not get dissolved in fuel which makes it fairly unique since most sealants and lubricants will not work in gasoline or diesel.

They're vastly different. The O-ring lube is for assembly purposes and gets washed away in whatever fluid the system uses. Fuel Lube (now known as EZ-Turn) is a fuelproof grease for lubricating plug-type fuel valves. The only thing I ever found that would dissolve it is acetone. Took me 20 years to discover that. Lots of fun trying to wash it off your hands with anything else.

This is a typical plug-type valve:

proxy-image

Looks like this inside:

upload_2021-4-4_12-8-1.png

That tapered plug fits very closely into a tapered bore and often has a shallower taper than shown. Without that fuel-proof grease it starts galling and scoring and can seize solid. The grease does eventually squeeze out and get carried away and leaves the plug dry. I saw a fuel valve actuator stem break on a flight-school airplane due to that friction. That stiffness shouldn't be tolerated; what if it decided to seize or break just when you needed to shut the fuel off in an emergency?

I tried fuel Lube on the primer O-rings and it made things worse. Stiffer after a few weeks. Some folks claim success with it. One of the dangers is small bits of it getting free and either fouling the tiny check valves in the primer or plugging the tiny orifices in the primer nozzles. The gas can't clean it out and now you have big primer problems.

It's good on frequently-disassembled threads. Acts as an anti-seize. But it was never intended or certified for that. You use it at your own risk. Same as using it with gaskets. It can actually let gaskets slide out from where they're supposed to be; fuel gauge sender gaskets are a prime example of that.

Last edited:
It's good on frequently-disassembled threads. Acts as an anti-seize. But it was never intended or certified for that. You use it at your own risk. Same as using it with gaskets.

Dan, I agree with everything you wrote. I just wanted to point out that if my memory is correct the side of the tube suggests that fuel lube is acceptable for use as an anti-seize and as a gasket prep. If I had a tube handy that I could read I would verify that but I’m pretty sure it says that.

It isn’t a solution for everything but fuel lube is something I always keep around for use on various projects.

I didn't know there was such a thing as fuel lube, gonna order some and look forward to an easier to turn fuel valve.

Dan, I agree with everything you wrote. I just wanted to point out that if my memory is correct the side of the tube suggests that fuel lube is acceptable for use as an anti-seize and as a gasket prep. If I had a tube handy that I could read I would verify that but I’m pretty sure it says that.

It isn’t a solution for everything but fuel lube is something I always keep around for use on various projects.
Good to know that. The MIL-Spec sheets don't mention that, IIRC.

I didn't know there was such a thing as fuel lube, gonna order some and look forward to an easier to turn fuel valve.
It's handy stuff and the one-pound can will last a lifetime. I used it to stick nuts or washers to the ends of long screwdrivers to get them into impossible spots. Turn the nut with another long screwdriver while the first one holds it against the stud. Or stick things to your finger to get them into such places. Some fuel strainer bowl O-rings (especially Cessna) want to fall out before you can get the bowl in place and then they get pinched and you have a big leak, so the fuel Lube will hold it there. Any of it that gets loose will be stopped by the strainer screen.

Parker O-ring lube
EZ Turn fuel lube

(I have enough Parkers to last a lifetime, choking on ASSCo's $22 for 5oz Fuel lube.)
$32 for a whole pound. Last a long, long time for you and all your friends. Put some into old pill bottles for them and still have enough for yourself.

Or you could buy a primer rebuild kit for $20 or so and keep the little plastic thingy of fuel lube that comes with it, for future use. You don't even come close to using all of it on the primer.

O ring lube (DC55) is used to assemble parts with orings. It is slippery and will soften the oring slightly, allowing easier assembly.

Fuel Lube (or what ever it is called now) is used in fuel valves. Also great on fuel system and hydraulic system pipe threads. It will seal the tiny gaps between the threads, so that there are no tell tale seeps of red or blue. Allows easier clocking of the fittings (not so tight so as to bust a tube taking it apart, not so loose to leak). Also great for starting hard to reach hardware with a dab on your finger or screwdriver.

DO NOT use teflon tape on any fuel or hydraulic fitting. People have died from its misuse.

Also great on fuel system and hydraulic system pipe threads. It will seal the tiny gaps between the threads, so that there are no tell tale seeps of red or blue.

You don't know how timely that advice is to me. ;)

Thanks Jaws

if I bought a pound of Fuel Lube at my age, I’d have 7/8 of a pound left when I die, lol.

I always suspected you are a lot younger than me. ;)
I'll be leaving at least 9/10 of a pound of the stuff to my heirs...

Forgot to mention. Do not use fuel lube on cork gaskets. Cork will naturally swell when in contact with oil or fuel. Adding fuel lube will allow over torque and the gasket will squeeze out.

Beech learned the hard way with King Air fuel system gaskets that cork is the best.

According to Spruce it has a 2 year shelf life...
A MIL-Spec would be responsible for that. We had a can in the shop that lasted ten years or more and the stuff at the bottom was as good as the stuff at the top was. Ten years and one pound for seven or eight airplanes. Lifetime stuff for the owner of one airplane. In another shop I found five-pound can that, based on the style of labelling, must have been at least 30 years old. It was getting a bit stiff. Had a MIL spec label on it, too.

Mustn't get this stuff confused with Sealube (one word), which is a thick liquid that looks like really heavy runny honey. It's for lubing and sealing threaded fittings. I didn't use it much. Lots more money, too. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/sealube.php?clickkey=16530

Fuel lube (AKA "sticky fingers") Also works for holding small nuts in place while starting the screw, in places where only a single finger can fit.

Permatex number 2 at the aviation parts dept of your local NAPA auto parts store is functionally similar, although it is not sold as a lubricant. Like Fuel lube, you don't want to get any loose stuff into your fuel system.

Permatex number 2 at the aviation parts dept of your local NAPA auto parts store is functionally similar, although it is not sold as a lubricant. Like Fuel lube, you don't want to get any loose stuff into your fuel system.
It's no good as a fuel valve lubricant. It stiffens up eventually and can make disassembly of fittings difficult. Isopropyl alcohol dissolves it, and maybe traces of ethanol in the fuel would, too. It's OK as a sealant and approved for that in aviation. Some of the liquid teflon sealants are replacing it in some applications.

Back