Are all self-serve fuel pumps 24/7?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
Question for pilots who have fueled up at many airports: Is the self-serve 100LL pump almost always 24/7 accessible with a credit card, or is it 50/50, or rarely, or never? When I look at the chart supplement and see the hours of operation M-F 8am to 5pm but they offer self-serve fuel, is it reasonable to assume that I can pump my own self-serve fuel after those operating hours and I would only be out of luck with getting fuel if they only offered full-service fuel and I arrived outside of the operating hours?

Thanks in advance!

Read the NOTAMs for the airport. If the pumps not broke, they are generally 24/7. NOTAMs *might* warn you if it’s broke, but it’s best to have a plan for when it’s broke and nobody reported it yet.

I've never run into one that was turned off.

I do prefer not to fuel at night however, as there's often no lights so you're trying to see into the tank with a flashlight while manipulating the nozzle. Last time I did it was the very fast and VERY loud pump at TAZ (so I didn't have the normal auditory clues), and I probably spilled a half gallon on each side. So then I had to dig out the towbar and drag her a ways away so we wouldn't erupt in a fireball when I started the engine.

I’d say nearly all. Most even have good lighting in the vicinity.

only ones I’ve found that weren’t were temp out of service.

so unless good real time intell, allow for a back up leg.

I do prefer not to fuel at night however, as there's often no lights so you're trying to see into the tank with a flashlight while manipulating the nozzle. Last time I did it was the very fast and VERY loud pump at TAZ (so I didn't have the normal auditory clues), and I probably spilled a half gallon on each side. So then I had to dig out the towbar and drag her a ways away so we wouldn't erupt in a fireball when I started the engine.

Headlamp, problem solved!

I recently filled up at one that might be off after hours. It was on the opposite side of the ramp and out of view from the FBO building and I finally figured out that you pump the gas and then walk over to the building to pay at the desk. I can’t imagine that system working well when nobody is in the office.

Thanks for the good laugh! :D I got the mental image picture of you spilling fuel everywhere like the filler spout was out of control. :p

...so unless good real time intell, allow for a back up leg.

^^^ This

Seldom have had problems, but they do happen. Have had a few instances where the credit card reader wasn't working.

The self-serve at the floatplane base in Ocean Falls was TOTALLY self-serve.

It was just a hose from a tank up the hill. There was no meter. You had to guess/estimate how much gas you put in. Then you went to the little pay shack. It was the era of credit card machines that you slid back and forth. You did your own invoicing, and put their part in a slot.

The self-serve at the floatplane base in Ocean Falls was TOTALLY self-serve.

It was just a hose from a tank up the hill. There was no meter. You had to guess/estimate how much gas you put in. Then you went to the little pay shack. It was the era of credit card machines that you slid back and forth. You did your own invoicing, and put their part in a slot.
So it was essentially an honor system fueling station? I’d be curious if any of those still exist.

I’ve actually seen a couple of those... sign on the wall. Awesome.

Most self serve that I have run into are 24/7. If I am planning a stop, I usually call ahead before I leave home to make sure they have fuel and the self serve is working okay.

I stopped at a small rural airport and taxied to the fuel pump. I got out and there was a sign that read "For fuel call Xxx-xxx-xxxx or yyy-yyy-yyyy". Nothing about self service or instructions. I walked around the airport but it was a Sunday morning and there was nobody around. I called the numbers and nobody answered. I then tried the pump and it worked like any other self service pump with a credit card reader. I fueled up and left. I still wonder what that sign was for? Maybe if you wanted full service fuel?

No, just no. 100% is the measure and I can guaran-damn-tee there’s at least 1 pure self-serve pump that isn’t 24/7/365.

Generally, yes, the juice is there waiting for you to buy it. But as @somorris said, call to confirm. I'd hate to pick the place with least deviation from my planned course only to find that the published fuel wasn't there. I'd be forgiving if the price had change, but if availability changed I'd be a tad bit unfriendly.

It's often, but not always a NOTAM if the SS is down. I managed to find a non-NOTAMed, broken one at 1am on an XC flight from FL to New England for a family emergency. Had to fly to another airport for fuel, luckily had plenty in reserve. Frustrating part was there was no sign indicating it was down. Card reader worked, but pump wouldn't activate. Spent at least 20 min looking for some other switch based on my assumption that it was operator error/ignorance vs the pump was FUBAR.

Well, this brings up yet another issue... does it work or is there a super secret handshake?

At 9a5 for a long time there was a “priming” procedure I’m sure got a lot of transients. All the locals knew. Seen a number of things like that. Usually solved by a local watching a transient struggle.

I've found NOTAMS on fuel unavailable to be even more unreliable system than safety-related ones.

My favorite 24 hour fuel is the one at one local airport. It's just a regular pump and if you arrive at one of the rare times the guy who lives on the field doesn't run out and pump it for you, you just pump it yourself and then go inside the always-unlocked FBO building and leave the money (or run your card through his credit card terminal and leave the signed receipt under the terminal).

Another airport we visited was locked up tighter than a drum. We didn't need fuel, but we were curious as to where we could leave our plane parked for a few days. There was a number to call on the door of the building and we called it and it was some dentist's office. We explained why it was we were calling and the receptionist said she'd get the doctor. "Just push it into any empty hangar," he told us.

So it was essentially an honor system fueling station? I’d be curious if any of those still exist.

Until a few years ago, Gundy's near Tulsa (O38) had one. You'd just turn it on and pump. When you were done, you'd write in a ledger they had in a 3-ring binder next to the pump, name, phone, how much you pump, how much it cost, and leave a check in the folder. You could buy oil the same way. It was great, and surprising (especially if you didn't carry checks on you anymore, like most people). I'll bet that caught more than a few people, and so a few years ago they put in one of the normal self-serve pumps with card reader. Obviously much better overall, but did kind of lose some of its charm.

I remember one time my check was damaged for some reason, and so they just called me up to see if I could send another one. No problem!

Basler refuels all of Airventure on the honor system basically. Pretty impressive.

Most of general aviation is pretty honest, and universally helpful. If you started with this as your hobby, you get pretty disappointed with many others. If you came from another, it’s a nice surprise.

Always exceptions, but a fair assessment I think.

Basler refuels all of Airventure on the honor system basically. Pretty impressive.
They have your N number. If you don't pay up before you leave the field, they will bill you.

Not sure if it's still like this, but Campbell field C81, north of Chicago, has a self serve pump but no credit card reader. You have to call a number, they turn on the pump remotely, then get card info after you finish pumping. Not sure how that'd work in the wee hours.

The uncontrolled airport I did my PPL out of has a 24/7 self-service pump with no card reader. You just taxi up and pump fuel, then go inside and tell the airport manager how much you owe. There's no signs or anything telling you to do this, but there's very little transient traffic so it's never really been an issue. I do remember showing up to the airport one morning to find a handwritten note taped to the door saying "I pumped fuel but couldn't figure out how to pay, please call me and I'll give you my credit card info over the phone". That guy could have 100% gotten away with it if he wanted to, so it's nice to know there's still a strong sense of honor in the aviation community.

No, not all but most. The most thing Can lull one into complacency for checking that... my first solo true long cross country (1400 miles) I landed in at KBFE Wyoming and nope the self serve pump wasn’t 24hour... it was in the info but I had just glanced, seen SS fuel and added it as a gas stop. I was lucky enough I had enough fuel to safely launch again but it was not in my desired path of travel to get gas with what I had on board- cost some real travel time, but a lesson was learned...

around home ya get to know that stuff, traveling... don’t skim! Read full info every time...

Most of general aviation is pretty honest, and universally helpful. If you started with this as your hobby, you get pretty disappointed with many others. If you came from another, it’s a nice surprise.

Always exceptions, but a fair assessment I think.

boyne city in northern MI has instructions for ya, pump what ya need and leave ur contact info they will mail you a bill... they claim they never get screwed...

The bits of Mayberry that can still be found in this world is largely still located at local airports... one of my favorite parts of aviation...

I’ve seen some places that padlock them after hours. If in doubt, just dial a dang phone and ask.

Credit-card payment is not universal at self serve pumps, and that makes a huge difference.

Example: Knoxville Iowa KOXV advertises both self-serve and full-serve at the same price. It’s misleading. In fact they don’t have credit card payment at the pump, just a simple lock on the pump, so it’s self serve only for locals who have special access. Transient pilots have to phone the airport manager, who has to drop whatever he’s doing at home to come out to turn on the pump then to accompany you to a distant office where he can take your credit card. Not convenient.

I don't think so. :D KBFE is in Texas. Terry County Airport, Brownfield, Texas.

I've been there. It's every bit what you'd expect from the ID.

mom that technically was not the identifier I landed at- ;)

Back