Really poor food and sevice....left a negative tip!

Law enforcement, when it comes to theft at least, is an illusion these days. I had an iPad stolen by an amateur, they left it powered on and I was pi$$ed that they stole it. Via tracking and my own work with the right people, I got their home address, license plate number, and video of their face in the hands of the local detectives. They did NOTHING. :mad: And when I complained on Facebook, a friend of mine who is in law enforcement said that's pretty normal. Until you start stealing cars, they just don't care. No wonder we have such a problem with people in prison, we don't do anything about their habits until they do something bad enough to warrant several years.
Not just law enforcement, sometimes it's prosecutors.

Nothing says "come here to be a criminal" more than announcing in advance that there will be no prosecutions. https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...on-of-low-level-crimes-including-prostitution

I've had a number of cards cancelled and new ones sent by our bank over the years. The one that really annoyed me was back in 1995. I had an AMEX Optima card that never left my wallet and was never used. Somehow some low life got the number (I still don't know how) and charged a number of things shortly after I moved to Oregon (and my family was still in California, finishing the school year). I got a call from my wife when the bill arrived wondering what was going on. I called AMEX and it took them a long time to finally cancel the charges. The last one was for some tools that were delivered to the perp's address. AMEX wanted to know who ordered them if I didn't. I suggested they start with the address where they were delivered. They finally got the message and reduced the bill to the correct amount - $0. I haven't had a personal AMEX card since. Their lousy customer service cost them a customer for life.

I’m a VP of a bank. So are most of the people I work with. I don’t know how many of us there are, but I’m sure it’s in the high tens of thousands at the very least. I think that’s a banking industry thing.

I have a nephew who was working as a bank teller, then got promoted directly to VP at the same bank. I was impressed with his new business cards, but didn't really understand how or why they promoted him straight to VP-- the kid's an idiot, I wouldn't trust him to walk my dog.

So, I asked. Turns out, in Arizona, some of the paperwork having to do with mortgage loans can only be done by a VP. So, he was really promoted to "loan processor"-- but to comply with AZ law, that meant he also got "promoted" to VP. I asked, and his compensation is far closer to what I'd expect them to pay him as a loan processor, than what I'd expect them to pay a "real" bank VP.

I've had a number of cards cancelled and new ones sent by our bank over the years. The one that really annoyed me was back in 1995. I had an AMEX Optima card that never left my wallet and was never used. Somehow some low life got the number (I still don't know how) and charged a number of things shortly after I moved to Oregon (and my family was still in California, finishing the school year). I got a call from my wife when the bill arrived wondering what was going on. I called AMEX and it took them a long time to finally cancel the charges. The last one was for some tools that were delivered to the perp's address. AMEX wanted to know who ordered them if I didn't. I suggested they start with the address where they were delivered. They finally got the message and reduced the bill to the correct amount - $0. I haven't had a personal AMEX card since. Their lousy customer service cost them a customer for life.

fwiw - it would seem that AMEX has improved. A few years ago I saw a bogus charge (4 iphones purchased in another State), I called AMEX, and they immediately cancelled the charges and issued me a new card. There have been a couple of other incidents in the past year, each quickly resolved with AMEX. No fuss.

member: 4723 said:
fwiw - it would seem that AMEX has improved. A few years ago I saw a bogus charge (4 iphones purchased in another State), I called AMEX, and they immediately cancelled the charges and issued me a new card. There have been a couple of other incidents in the past year, each quickly resolved with AMEX. No fuss.

Exactly my experience. Our Uber Eats account was compromised and we had fraudulent charges on all of our cards linked to the account (four separate Amex charge and credit cards). Someone in London ordered enough delivery to cater a coronation. Amex took the charges right off and two day shipped replacement cards.

The interesting thing was that their fraud algos on two of the cards detected fraudulent activity and declined the charges. The other two cards had about five approved orders each with no fraud detected. That puzzled me, but all the same, Amex took care of it with no problem.

What's funny is he's posted on other threads, but obviously not coming back within 10 feet of this dumpster fire

Until you start stealing cars, they just don't care.

They’re not even all that interested in stolen cars.

The main purpose of a police report is that it’s a required checkbox for your insurance company.

Multiple of our rat colony departments in the city have turned police reports into a self serve website a decade or more ago. They’ll call if interested. Otherwise fill in a web form, and when you hit submit you’ll have an “Officer signed” report to hand to your insurance agent.

They’re not even all that interested in stolen cars.

The main purpose of a police report is that it’s a required checkbox for your insurance company.
Except in a certain city near me where carjackings have become TikTok fodder for youth - who are doing it to show off that they're cool kids. An older gentleman was killed last week when 2 girls (like 13 and 15) stole his car as he was getting in and dragged him down the street and crashed into other cars. The two girls were to be tried as juveniles for the murder (but it's going to be pled so they'll probably get home detention for a while.

Except in a certain city near me where carjackings have become TikTok fodder for youth - who are doing it to show off that they're cool kids. An older gentleman was killed last week when 2 girls (like 13 and 15) stole his car as he was getting in and dragged him down the street and crashed into other cars. The two girls were to be tried as juveniles for the murder (but it's going to be pled so they'll probably get home detention for a while.

So you’re saying the cops caught one of thousands? Not sure what your point is.

Anybody else has a car stolen, there won’t be any extra effort to find it anywhere else. Even with video and such.

Its nice they can step it up when it become some TikTok fad, for a short while, I guess?

If they hadn’t crashed they’d probably still have been a lot easier to find than a pro auto thief. They had no plans to take the vehicle straight to a garage until it was in pieces pre-packaged for cash sale. LOL.

(And before someone whines, I’m not picking on cops. The economics of it is there will always be more thieves than people to hunt them.)

(And before someone whines, I’m not picking on cops. The economics of it is there will always be more thieves than people to hunt them.)
Nah. Just more thieves than there are people who are allowed to hunt them, mainly because when they’re caught there is essentially no real penalty.

Not that I’m advocating lynchings or amputation or any of that nonsense... But really, if you don’t care what your criminal record looks like, there doesn’t seem to be much disincentive for stealing crap.

Nah. Just more thieves than there are people who are allowed to hunt them, mainly because when they’re caught there is essentially no real penalty.

Not that I’m advocating lynchings or amputation or any of that nonsense... But really, if you don’t care what your criminal record looks like, there doesn’t seem to be much disincentive for stealing crap.

There’s no catch limit. LOL. It’s economics.

Nobody would pay for that many cops.

Just enough cops and an illusion the majority of thrives are caught, is fine for most folks... as long as insurance rates don’t go above some percentage where it’s too much to pay as a ratio to net income.

Technically the same thing with taxes to buy people to enforce. It’s all about average incomes.

Tiny super rich resident municipalities have a much higher cop to citizen ratio and those cops have way more toys.

Which is why the neighborhood not far from my old city normal house — that had average house prices of roughly $3M back during the 2008 housing crisis, $5M now — had a PD that used det cord to blow the entire back of a guy’s house off (multiple door sized holes) for a Walmart shoplifter.

Guy was then told he couldn’t rebuild exactly as it was — because it wouldn’t meet code.

Took something like seven years and he sued everybody, the city, the county... all to no avail. No judge would hold anybody accountable for blowing his house up to “catch a bad guy”.

There’s downsides to living in the mansions! Ha.

Or giving the cops a budget for all the explosives they ever wanted! LOL.

That municipality still has an enormous police force per capita, a SWAT team that’s one of the largest in the metro, and all shiny new equipment at all times.

Locals know to never ever speed inside their tiny jurisdiction. Huge money maker. They set most speed limits on four lane roads at 25. Something for that massive force to do.

It’s size? 8 square miles.

It’s all about the Benjamins. :) Always is.

I’m sure a car stolen in that neighborhood gets a pair of detectives hunting for it.

I thought that was only a local (to me) problem, but looking at your location and other posts here, I see it's not. Not going any further lest I transgress into spin.

So you’re saying the cops caught one of thousands? Not sure what your point is.

Anybody else has a car stolen, there won’t be any extra effort to find it anywhere else. Even with video and such.

Its nice they can step it up when it become some TikTok fad, for a short while, I guess?

If they hadn’t crashed they’d probably still have been a lot easier to find than a pro auto thief. They had no plans to take the vehicle straight to a garage until it was in pieces pre-packaged for cash sale. LOL.

The pace is accelerating because of social media and there are people being murdered as part of it. A new meaning to the words "joy ride".

They caught the girls that did it in this case (as they have for others), but the girls will get off without any substantial punishment - certainly not the kind of punishment that fits the crime of murder.

Not to worry, though, there are other things being done to show off to others - and it's not even catch-and-release. Here's an example from yesterday.

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-county/2021/04/watch-vehicle-spins-donuts-in-middle-of-beltway/

The pace is accelerating because of social media and there are people being murdered as part of it. A new meaning to the words "joy ride".

They caught the girls that did it in this case (as they have for others), but the girls will get off without any substantial punishment - certainly not the kind of punishment that fits the crime of murder.

Not to worry, though, there are other things being done to show off to others - and it's not even catch-and-release. Here's an example from yesterday.

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-county/2021/04/watch-vehicle-spins-donuts-in-middle-of-beltway/

The pace of joyrides and such social media induced bad behaviors in tiny quantities, sure. Mostly it’s like other social media fads, if you couldn’t hear about useless algorithm force fed news from cities thousands of miles away, it’d be buried on page 30 of a newspaper and nobody would care, nor would it be a minor fad for a while. “Tide pod” crimes.

If you read one article about it, the algorithm will send you three more. That’s how it works. Literally nobody else has that junk in their feeds.

That was always the beauty of a newspaper back in the say. And still is the beauty of top of the hour five minute radio news. Everything you actually needed to know was on the first two pages and the back page weather map.

Meanwhile...

Pro auto theft and standard property crime has been consistent and level for quite a while now and is just about the economy. It has fallen massively since the 80s, per-capita.

But the “keep the viewer on the website” algorithm makes the world seem worse than it is. Without context it looks like a big problem when it’s not.

The Information Age simply means there’s too much of it and most of it is irrelevant.

I can find three articles on midget hookers killing people with STDs and then believe it’s a major growing problem if I don’t think hard about how many midget hookers exist. Ha. The algorithms will help me find them by feeding them to me, too.

Reactions: JEB
By now he’s figured out that there’s nothing he can say to adequately defend what he says he did. He’s not going to respond in this thread, for pretty obvious reasons.

Are we ever going to learn what a negative tip is?

wasn't it clear from day 1? a negative tip is leaving less than the total bill.

That’s what I understood from day 1 as well.

That's generally just referred to as "walking the check" aka stealing.

It depends. Some establishments have the service person total up the food/drink bill for their entire shift, and they then pay the employer. What they have left at the end of the shift is their "tip." The OP thus thinks he's leaving a "negative" tip, as the service person will have to pay for part of his meal out of their other tips.

Either way it's not a nice way to go about things.

I sent him a private message just asking him if he had any comments about the thread or it’s views and I got.....no comment. So don’t hold your breath. But plenty of posts from him on other threads this week.
Do we have a Troll in our midst?

On whether you're stealing from the restaurant or the waiter?

Pretty much what I'm getting at, yes. The OP probably thought he was sealing from the waiter, but depending on how they do business he may have been stealing directly from the proprietor.

I really like paying with cash. I'll get the check amount plus tip, fan the bills out nicely (presentation counts!) and put the salt shaker on top so they don't blow away. Then I'm off without the back-and-forth credit card stuff.

Old school Luddite, I know. :)
I prefer cash at restaurants just for this reason. Lately, for good service, I've been tipping a bit better than usual...er....pre-COVID....because I know the servers haven't been making the $$$ they have in the past.

Of course we have thirty seven Vice Presidents. Doesn’t everybody?

I get PO'd every month when my university (I teach part-time when possible) lists new hires - I'll bet it's got more VPs than Exxon! Yet the CS Dept is down 3 tenure-tracks (retirements) and it was short at least 2 faculty to begin with. Lost 2 of the 4 reliable part-timers. Did we get funding for the 5? Did we get funding for even the 3 that left? Don't even bother to guess. 1 tenure-track and 1 one-year non-tenure track contract. Swell. And the school is wondering why ABET is threatening to pull certification of the degree.

I get PO'd every month when my university (I teach part-time when possible) lists new hires - I'll bet it's got more VPs than Exxon! Yet the CS Dept is down 3 tenure-tracks (retirements) and it was short at least 2 faculty to begin with. Lost 2 of the 4 reliable part-timers. Did we get funding for the 5? Did we get funding for even the 3 that left? Don't even bother to guess. 1 tenure-track and 1 one-year non-tenure track contract. Swell. And the school is wondering why ABET is threatening to pull certification of the degree.
I remember when the president of CSU (Tony Frank at the time) - may no one have mercy on him, he's a real POS. Got out of a CJ while I was working at FNL. At least my tuition dollars were going to aviation...

Back