Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
Hello
Id like to buy a used handheld aviation radio
I have a Yeasu 550 with VOR/ILS I keep in the Hangar
but id like one to keep in my truck to have on hand, I dont need anything fancy, just need to receive and transmit on aviation freqs.

Hello
Id like to buy a used handheld aviation radio
I have a Yeasu 550 with VOR/ILS I keep in the Hangar
but id like one to keep in my truck to have on hand, I dont need anything fancy, just need to receive and transmit on aviation freqs.

Check out Gulf Coast Avionics refurb radios. That’s usually the best deal on the 750.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful about installing aviation radios in a private vehicle. You could easily run afoul of FCC rules if you ever transmit on it. Just because airplanes in the US no longer need to have a radio station license on board, aviation radios are not CB radios that anyone can operate legally.

Yeah.. just wondered why one would have to be more careful when installing vs. using handheld.
Installing a radio in a car is a permanent installation vs. a handheld. With a handheld, it can be out of sight when not in use while a vhf antenna on the roof of a car is shouting out "unlicensed radio station here." How likely is the FCC to enforce the regulations is a question HAM operators might better answer.

Unless there's repeated blatant interference, or a proven case of harm caused by fraudulent transmission(s), it's not very likely the FCC would ever even know, much less care. They're mostly busy selling spectrum for cell phone and internet services, for example: the internet service that may interfere with GPS!

I have a king kx99 with a new battery that I would part with for $125.00.
WILL

Back