Airport name to use?

Many years ago the NOAA approach plates were published in a paper-bound edition, with the binding at the top. The plates for each region were arranged by alphabetical order, not by city, but by airport name.

I was looking for WJF, Fox Field in Lancaster CA. It was not under 'L' for "Lancaster"; it was not under 'F' for "Fox". It wasn't even under 'W' for "William J. Fox Field".

It was under 'G' -- for "General William J. Fox Field". o_O
They don’t come that way anymore?

A couple of years ago I flew into 1L8 in Hurricane, Utah. If I followed the rule of parroting the name on the chart, I would have been the only one in the pattern saying, "General Dick Stout Field traffic ..." Instead I was saying "Hurricane Traffic," while all the locals were saying something that sounded more like, "Herkin traffic ... " :confused:

View attachment 95243

It is pronounced like her-a-kin. ;) I only know from listening to fm radio while driving through..

I called the KRRY ATIS and it's "McCullom".

RYY is McCollum, but if you say Cobb County, they'll let you in.

Anybody fly into CPS lately? What's it called now? When I learned to fly there it was "Bi-State Parks" airport, and you called "Bi-State Tower". Now it's "East St. Louis Downtown", but there's also St. Louis Regional (used to be Alton Civic Memorial), St. Louis Lambert, and Spirit of St. Louis.

Anybody fly into CPS lately? What's it called now? When I learned to fly there it was "Bi-State Parks" airport, and you called "Bi-State Tower". Now it's "East St. Louis Downtown", but there's also St. Louis Regional (used to be Alton Civic Memorial), St. Louis Lambert, and Spirit of St. Louis.
Downtown Tower is what I called it when I flew in there a couple years ago.

...The guy flying in from somewhere else may be calling "Gillespie County" and the locals are calling "Fredericksburg"...

And that particular airfield also shares CTAF with Kerrville, just a few miles away. I always have to remember that when I all hear is T82 traffic talking and I’m headed to ERV.

KCDK in Cedar Key FL is officially on the charts George Lewis Airfield... no one local uses that or seems to know the reason....I researched until I found they named it (I think in the 1950s) after a local non pilot resident who commonly rendered aid to pilots in need, there being (still) no services of any sort there.
See...be nice and someone will name an airport for you. :D

Back