Recent GA experience with KLAS?

MonkeyClaw

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Timothy Miller
I'm looking at flying into LAS to drop someone off. Does anyone have recent experience in going there? IIRC In the past it wasn't very GA friendly unless you were in a jet. HND is a lot easier but also a lot farther from everything.

Any info would be great!

North Las Vegas (KVGT) is an option. Several threads on this topic of where to fly into and around Las Vegas. Several posters appear to fly into KLAS frequently on IFR flight plans and others were able to fly into KLAS recently VFR because of the COVID reduction in traffic. Me, no way would I fly into a place like that.

Depends on what you mean by “recent”. I’ve usually used Atlantic at LAS when I’ve been in town, with the last time being Feb 2020. It’s expensive, but I’ve never had a problem getting in there IFR or been treated with anything less than professionalism and respect while doing so. On a visit a few weeks ago I decided to finally try HND. It is definitely a lot cheaper, but it was a lot farther away from things than I thought it was.

LAS is easy enough for light GA, especially if you go in IFR. The only downside is the price of the gas, which is a big downside.

If you are coming from Southern California, HND is a no brainer over VGT.

Thanks for all of the replies! What kind of fees are we talking about? No overnight, no gas. Just a quick drop-off. HND is my alternate. I've flown in there several times with no issues.

HND has a $15 ramp fee, which is waived with purchase of 20 gallons of fuel. 19.5 won't do it. Even on a volunteer charity flight.

No use reasoning with them; the FBO is a county operation.
Thanks, forgot about this. I'll leave some room in the tanks if I go there!

I’ve never been charged a ramp fee at HND, even when just picking up pax.

I flew in to KLAS a few weeks ago in my RV9. Filed IFR in and vfr out. It was easy peasy and they accommodated me the whole way. It helped that I kept 140 knots until about 3 miles out as they didn’t have to slow anyone down behind me. Overall it was a really fun experience and my first bravo airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Must be your charm and good looks. They’ve been diligent about collecting it from me, parking on the distant bottom-feeder ramp just long enough to load boxes of blood for transport back to Phoenix.

You should probably have had a talk with someone higher up, cause that makes no sense.

Anyway, the gas at HND is reasonable enough to buy anyway.

The higher-ups of the volunteer organization have had multiple talks with higher-ups of the airport, to no avail. :(

That's unfortunate. I generally don't have an issue taking their min, but I'd be annoyed with that as well.

Back