Large fire at Hilversum airfield

dppintr2

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rene
Last night, a hangar at Hilversum airfield burned down. Ronald, the maintenance technician, lived with his wife and daughter above the hangar.

The only thing they still own are the clothes they were wearing when they barely survived. Ronald has lost his house, his workshop and his livelihood in one fell swoop. Ronald is someone who never asks anything for himself, is always there for everyone and is a highly regarded, reliable maintenance technician and fellow pilot at the airfield.

He and his family deserve help like no other to rebuild their lives. A new workshop and home are an inseparable part of this. Hence this appeal for everyone to make a contribution.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-ronald-uit-de-brand

Thank you very much,
René

Just made a small donation. God bless. He sounds like a good person. Hope he sees people around the world helping and it buoys his spirits.

At the risk of being crass, would he not have had both homeowners and business insurance? Still a big loss to ones day to day life, but perhaps not financially.

If not, I guess it is a wake up call for everyone to check their policies for correctness.

I am afraid that insurance will be far from covering this to start over again. General Aviation is not a high income type of business in the Netherlands.
How does lost income relate to the cost of the structures and contents? Business insurance can also cover loss of income. Does homeowners and business insurance work differently in Europe? If he was under-insured, that makes the event more sad, but also a wake up call that paying less for your coverage may some day come to bite you in the butt. Nothing changes the shock and personal loss, but monetary losses are determined by the choice of insurance.

If the structures and contents were worth 500,000 and he only insured for 250,000, whose fault is that? It is a risk that we all take when choosing to purchase, not purchase, or under-insure our belongings.

I’ll admit that I choose to go with lower insurance coverage in many areas, with the realization that in the event of a total loss, I will be forced to downsize house/workshop/car etc. It is a roll of the dice.

In 1957 the airfield was populated with sheep, they would just move out of the way of aircraft on approach!

Back