What's the required altitude above towered airspace?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
What’s the required minimum altitude above towered airspace? If a Delta goes up to 2,500 feet, can you fly over the top of it at 2,550 feet without talking to them? If I recall from my online ground school, you can technically fly at 2,501 feet over the top of it. Is that accurate? Even if so, is that fine or would that not be advised and you should fly at least 100 feet or so above it? I know I usually see about a 80-100 foot discrepancy between my altimeter and my GPS altitude so I feel like it would be safe to have at least that much above the towered airspace?

Thanks in advance for your help!

What’s the required minimum altitude above towered airspace? If a Delta goes up to 2,500 feet, can you fly over the top of it at 2,550 feet without talking to them? If I recall from my online ground school, you can technically fly at 2,501 feet over the top of it. Is that accurate? Even if so, is that fine or would that not be advised and you should fly at least 100 feet or so above it? I know I usually see about a 80-100 foot discrepancy between my altimeter and my GPS altitude so I feel like it would be safe to have at least that much above the towered airspace?

Yup. You can do the 2501 thang. That being said I like your take on adding in a little buffer.

We usually say 200 feet is the minimum distance away from controlled space. Bravo Ceiling near me is 3,000, I never fly above 2,800 unless I'm cleared into the Bravo.

2 cents.

edit: due to instrument variance.

In your example with the control zone topping out at 2,500 ft, unless you're climbing or descending or dealing with unexpected weather or an emergency, you should (not legally "should", just decent airmanship "should") be at either 3,500 ft or 4,500 ft VFR depending on your direction of flight (since 2,500 ft is ruled out).

In your example with the control zone topping out at 2,500 ft, unless you're climbing or descending or dealing with unexpected weather or an emergency, you should (not legally "should", just decent airmanship "should") be at either 3,500 ft or 4,500 ft VFR depending on your direction of flight (since 2,500 ft is ruled out).

What if you want to fly under 3,500 feet? Either because you're only going a short distance, or you want to sightsee things on the ground, or whatever the reason may be.

2500 isn’t ruled out in the US. Direction of flight only applies above 3000 AGL.

Are you not allowed to put along at or below 3,000 AGL in Canada? I'm always curious about the differences between flying in Canada and the U.S.

Nothing saying you can't cruise around at 2600, 2700, whatever, in whatever direction you want.

What if you want to fly under 3,500 feet? Either because you're only going a short distance, or you want to sightsee things on the ground, or whatever the reason may be.

well in that case it’s only 4.4 miles, just divert early around it and it will add like a minute to your flight.

What’s the required minimum altitude above towered airspace?
The regulations do not require any minimum distance above a towered-airport's Class D airspace. They only require you remain clear of the Class D airspace without first having established two-way radio communication. How much of a buffer you need is up to your own judgement. Others have already commented on ways to do that.

Reference 14 CFR 91.126 through 91.131 for regulations relating to operating in the vicinity of airports.

I once flew over Olympia, WA (KOLM). Their Class D extends to 2700 MSL. I was probably around 3000 MSL, when I called as a courtesy. The controller, who was not busy, and who I probably woke up, said, "You're outta my airspace. I don't care. Frequency change approved."

Yes you can be at 2501 and not talk to anyone. I give the buffer of 100 or 200 feet.

I over fly delta fairly often. Most times I give them a heads up, even when I'm a few thousand above their airspace. But, on occasion I get a controller that thinks it is his airspace. I was at 12,500 and descending over the delta which only went to 9,000. I was instructed to remain above 9500 until clear of his airspace. I didn't bother to respond. Usually they just ask me to monitor tower.
If I was going to cross within a hundred feet or so, I would make sure to let him know my intent prior.

There is no minimum limit. The boundary is 2500 feet so either you're in or you're out. What about exactly 2500 feet? well your wheels are probably 3 or 4 feet below your altimeter so technically...

Back