Refueling steps and handles

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
I just bought a 172D, without steps and handles for refueling. Can my local A&P install these if I find parts? Or is it an STC and therefore a big ol' deal therefore? THANKS

—dan

Point of Trivia.... The wing strut step and handle was intended for float plane version. Customers demanded it on tricycle gear planes for no ladder fuel checking.

Last edited:
Can my local A&P install these if I find parts?
Depends on whether the parts are OEM or aftermarket. But most steps I've seen were part of a Cessna kit like the later version one linked below. Perhaps a quick call to Cessna support will get you the kit P/Ns for a 172D then you could start looking for the parts. One word of caution, have your APIA check dimensions of the parts before purchase as there can be a variance in strut and doubler dimensions in the earlier models.
https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=29310

I just bought a 172D, without steps and handles for refueling. Can my local A&P install these if I find parts? Or is it an STC and therefore a big ol' deal therefore? THANKS

—dan
If they're shown in the parts manual for the 172D then they're approved already.

Point of Trivia.... The wing strut step and handle was intended for float plane version. Customers demanded it on tricycle gear planes for no ladder fuel checking.

Yep, and they've been a major factor in cracked filler necks (due to improper fueling technique) on Cessnas ever since!

great information and much appreciated. THANKS

Yep, and they've been a major factor in cracked filler necks (due to improper fueling technique) on Cessnas ever since!
Seen those necks damaged by people using ladders, too. Pilots are used to filling cars that have stout filler necks that will support the nozzle and hose, and they have to be taught that the aircraft filler neck will not tolerate that and the weight will cock the neck and crack the tank next to the neck's weld. Some tanks also have a small protective baffle around the fuel level sender, right close to the filler, and I've found those bent and torn free by nozzles.

My club's previous 172 had 'em. My club's current 172 does not. I miss having them.

Agree! Refueling needs to be via a ladder with proper fuel hose positioning center of filler neck, and not canted/resting in contact with filler neck. The strut step seems handy for returning checked sumped fuel from a Gats jar and checking fuel cap fitment.

The Cessna accessory kit for steps and handles starts at the 172K model: https://fadodge.com/wp-content/uplo...nd-Installation-Instructions-AK172-168J-1.pdfhttps://fadodge.com/wp-content/uplo...nd-Installation-Instructions-AK172-168J-1.pdf

Like Bell206 says, older airplanes might have a small strut profile and this kit wouldn't work, nor would the FAA-approved info in these instructions apply. From the parts manual for that range of 172:

upload_2021-4-2_15-11-39.png

The 172D serial number range is 17249545 through 17250572. The manual shows nothing for it. It doesn't show up on the floatplane fittings page either.
http://www.aeroelectric.com/Referen...uals/Cessna 172 Parts Catalog (1963-1974).pdf

So you're stuck with an STC or some other approval.

I liked the steps, because you could just walk up, get on the step and check the line guy after refueling to see that the levels were topped, and the fuel caps were put on right.
just handy I guess
thanks for the input
dan

Agree! Refueling needs to be via a ladder with proper fuel hose positioning center of filler neck, and not canted/resting in contact with filler neck. The strut step seems handy for returning checked sumped fuel from a Gats jar and checking fuel cap fitment.

The line guys at the FBO say they are taught to have the nozzle in continuous contact with the fuel neck to assure proper grounding.

they are taught to have the nozzle in continuous contact with the fuel neck to assure proper grounding.
FYI: the last place you want to ground refueling equipment is at the nozzle to aircraft tank opening. The whole purpose of grounding the aircraft to the refuel equipment is to prevent a ground connection at the nozzle.

FYI: the last place you want to ground refueling equipment is at the nozzle to aircraft tank opening. The whole purpose of grounding the aircraft to the refuel equipment is to prevent a ground connection at the nozzle.
I always taught the guys to have the nozzle in contact with the filler as well as making sure the ground cable is well-connected. But contacting the filler neck is different than letting the nozzle rest in it at an angle so that the neck is being cocked by the weight of the nozzle and hose.

The fuel hose has a wire braid in it that is supposed to contact the fuel pump and nozzle at their connections. I never assumed that those connections were good, hence the need to keep the nozzle in contact so that the static generated by the flowing fuel didn't create a spark at that filler.

One of our graduates flew in Alaska, and he told us that especially in the cold, dry winter at night he'd sometimes see "Elmo's fire" flickering around the fuel as it left the nozzle.

Back