Clear coat peeling

RonP

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RvP
The clear coat is peeling on some spots near the wing tips and one side of the fuselage. The peel is about the size of a paper plate. The paint is good and it is just the clear coat. The paint is enamel. What is the best way an amateur such as me can prevent further peeling and refresh the clear coat in those areas? Also I don’t have a hangar and would be doing this outside.

Go to an aircraft paint shop, this isn’t a DIY on the ramp job.

Its not so expensive to repair a clear coat.

Last edited:
What color is the base coat? if it's white, or light, you can get away with some careful prep and a rattle can repair. A small compressor and hplv jamb gun would be better.

If it's a dark base color, you'll see a moderately cloudy transition. All depends on you checkbook and tolerance level.

Paint is pricey here in South Jersey. While in annual last year the wingtips were removed and given to the local paint guy at the airport. He charged $400 a wing tip to remove the old clear coat and re-spray, $800 plus paint total. I was going to have the paint guy touch up the last 2 foot of the wing end clear coat and that was quoted at $1,600 plus paint. The base color where the clear coat is peeling is maroon. Not sure what a reasonable price is to judge.

the last 2 foot of the wing end clear coat and that was quoted at $1,600 plus paint.

@Chip Sylverne gave good advice.

Not sure how it is in NJ, but you might find a local auto paint guy to come and do it. Or fly to an airport closer to him if not too local. He'll have tools, supplies, and practice.
If it's just the 2 foot of the wing end, not including any ailerons, (or even bottom of the wing?), it would seem somewhat of a minimal job for an experienced painter.
Probably not too bad for a DIY'er. Maybe practice on something else that doesn't matter much.
You're smart to try and arrest it. If it's anything like my old Chevy truck, the peeling won't stop on it's own, especially sitting outside.

Also, be careful of overspray no matter who does it. Not just your plane, but others for sure.

Buy a Preval sprayer (cheap) and clear coat from an automotive paint shop. They should be able to help you get set up to do it yourself. Practice on something else first.

Back