Piper Conversion to a Single Piece Windshield?

CherokeeGirl

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
CherokeeGirl
I need to replace my windshield. It's still 2 piece on my PA-32. Personally, I kinda like the beam in the center, but I'm still going to do some homework before I discount the option of moving to a single windshield. I was wondering if anyone here has gone that route and if they liked it.

I see at least two companies that offer it (below) but only LP Aero will offer UVA/UVB protection for an additional cost.

I assume my model isn't the "Super Sound Proof" option of the Piper with the thicker windshield and more insulation, but would like to move to the .250 thick option going forward, even with a two-part windshield.

Finally, what about tint? I was thinking about going with clear, but does anyone here prefer green or grey tint?

PS: There's a thermometer sticking through my windshield. I hate it. I hear that it can be put elsewhere on the plane, so I plan to go that route once I figure out how.

Last edited:
Finally, what about tint. I was thinking about going with clear, but does anyone here prefer green or grey tint?
Forget doing any serious photography with green tint. I have to color-correct every photo from my 172. :mad:

Attachments

• 1254A50E-B96D-42F3-B31D-F38C9351A3FB.jpeg
    1254A50E-B96D-42F3-B31D-F38C9351A3FB.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 76
I would suggest what they call "solar gray" tint.
I called Cee Bailey this morning and they told me that their "solar gray" does not offer any UV protection. If you're suggesting it purely because of the visual appearance of the tint, what do you like about it over clear? I'm under the impression it makes it harder to see at night.

This from LP Aero Plastics:

"LP Aero Plastics Inc., an FAA and PMA parts manufacturer, now manufactures UV-block green tint and UV-block solar gray tint aircraft windshields and windows for aircraft occupant and interior protection. These tints block all UV-B rays, more than 99 percent of UV-A rays, and up to 30 percent more heat than standard tints."

I installed solar gray rear windows in my Cherokee and will replace the side/door and windscreen on condition with solar gray. I like the looks of it and there is a noticeable difference in the glare and heat of the clear windows they replaced.

LP aero solar grey is excellent.

I see at least two companies that offer it
If going from 2 piece to single piece you may have only one option in the LP STC unless you want to get your own approval for the CEEB. But your mechanic can confirm that better. Same with moving the OAT gauge, your APIA can determine if moving it is a minor or major alteration.

UV A/B blocking windscreen is a game changer. Cooler plane on the ramp, greatly reduced eye strain, dramatically less degradation of interior plastics/paint.

Have Solar Control gray in my 182P from Great Lakes Aero. Great Lakes is an OEM to several GA manufacturers and the quality is first rate. Bailey’s primary business is motorcycle windscreens. Some extra care is needed in terms of distorted vision quality check before installation. Nothing against Bailey, just something to be mindful of from second hand feedback.

Last edited:
UV A/B blocking windscreen is a game changer. Cooler plane on the ramp, greatly reduced eye strain, dramatically less degradation of interior plastics/paint.

Have Solar Control gray in my 182P from Great Lakes Aero. Great Lakes is an OEM to several GA manufacturers and the quality is first rate. Bailey’s primary business is motorcycle windscreens. Some extra care is needed in terms of distorted vision quality check before installation. Nothing against Bailey, just something to be mindful of from second hand feedback.

I had a Cee Bailey windshield on my Kawasaki Concours. It had quite noticeable distortion halfway up, and the vent was shaped unevenly. I’d not accept an aircraft wndshield made to that standard.

A 1/4" inch windshield is a huge upgrade from the 1/8" in terms of noise, UV absorption, and structural integrity. Any a extra UV absorption is a good thing. Pilots have a higher incidence of melanoma than the general population due to enhanced UV exposure at altitude. Been there, done that, fortunately without any expected long term consequences other than a bodacious scar, and not without some preemptive FAA paperwork. Sunscreen doesn't hurt either. My PCP lectures me annually. Take care. It won't happen to you until it does.

I can tell you that many in the PA32 Facebook group advise not to do single piece windshield. If you have a problem later you have to replace the whole thing instead of just one side like a 2 piece. I'll probably always keep mine 2 piece.

When I replaced my Warrior's windshield a few years back, I had to make the same decisions. My plane is in an enclosed hangar, so that may be a factor for you.

I went with a thicker two-piece and NO tint. Two-piece for the same reason mentioned by NealRome. Also the one-piece still has a center post, though it is a much thinner rod than the OEM frame.

No tint, because I prefer to see the world as it is colored, and I occasionally shoot photos through the windscreen, though most often through the open storm window. If I need eye protection I wear sunglasses.

When removing the OAT gauge soak that sucker in some sort of penetrating oil for hours or days before attempting removal. Time and weather had welded the threads on mine, and it broke when attempting to remove. I replaced it with an identical unit from Wag-Aero.

I can tell you that many in the PA32 Facebook group advise not to do single piece windshield. If you have a problem later you have to replace the whole thing instead of just one side like a 2 piece. I'll probably always keep mine 2 piece.

How often to windscreens need replacing though? Having flown with both 2 piece and 1 piece, I will take 1 piece all day, every day, and thrice on Sunday.

Thanks for the input. I've decided on a 2-piece clear with UV protection from LP Aero.

Now I just need to find a place that will install them in CA (or surrounding states). Flying there isn't a problem since the current windshield is still intact. Anyone know of any good shops and what this should likely cost?

Can I do this myself or does it need to be done by a specialty shop? I can't seem to find anything in the FAR/AIM saying I can't do (but honestly I don't really want to).

Can I do this myself or does it need to be done by a specialty shop?
Only side window replacement falls under Part 43 Appx A prevent mx. But any experienced AP can change the windshield vs a "specialty shop."

I did my two-piece under supervision of my AP-IA.

Update: I'm going with a two-piece replacement in clear with UV protection at 1/4" thickness. The only one that seems to offer this is LP Aero. The installer, T & P Aero Refinishers in Salinas, offered the best rates and seemed to be the most competent when talking to them on the phone. They suggested going with Great Lakes for the windshield since it typically requires less work than LP Aero to trim to fit, but Great Lakes doesn't yet offer UV protection in clear, so LP Aero it is.

Thanks for your help… until next time.

Last edited:
Please post a followup when the work is done.

I've installed solar grey one piece windshield in both a PA28 and a 32.
I would do it again. Caution. The 2 piece windshield is much thinner, so when converting you will probably need to bevel the edge of the plastic or spread the aluminum retainer lip, and/or both. You may also have difficulty seating the lower rear corner on the co-pilot's side. Be very careful not to stress the plastic in that area to prevent it from cracking later.

I installed a remote OAT temperature sensor just inside the wire mesh air intake cover in the right wing air intake.

Back