Sticky Wemac Eyeball Vent

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
The copilot eyeball vent on my plane is very sticky to open/close. It can be turned but it's a real chore, enough of an effort that I don't think I would try to adjust it from the pilot seat. Is there a tried-and-true method to free it up? I'm thinking about spraying some LPS in and around the mechanism but any smarter ideas would be welcome.

It's a metal vent, fairly small size.

Clean it up and maybe try some dry film lubricant. I think one of the LPS versions is like that but I can’t remember which one. I wouldn’t use anything non-drying for the reason Bell cited.

It's a metal vent, fairly small size.
Remove it and see if the mount flange is bent or the eye part has corrosion (#1 reason). Soak it in some Dawn and see if you can loosen it up. If unsure on condition remove the one that works and compare. If you can get it working, double check after rinsed and dried. As mentioned above, use a dry lube like graphite or a type that dries, but only if needed. If a lost cause look to salvage yards or ebay for used replacements provided they rotate. And buy 2 so they match each other.

LPS #1 is the kind I have on hand, and is a non-grease, drying lubricant. But I won't spray it willy-nilly. I'll have to look and see how easily removed the valves are but I like the idea of removing, inspecting, and soaking it.

Back