Commercial Knowledge Test Prep

MJR Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MJR Pilot
Going to start studying for the Commercial written in the next few weeks. For Private and Instrument, I primarily used Gleim test prep book with extra practice tests from Sportys online course. I am planning to follow the same route for Commercial, but had heard that the Commercial question database from FAA was recently updated / refreshed, and that Gleim may now be outdated. Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so, any tips on other study providers? Appreciate views from anyone who may have recently taken the Commercial written. Thanks as always.

Sheppard Air has a reputation for having the most up-to-date question bank.

+1 on Sheppard Air for the written

but, you will still want to read up on the rest of the material. I liked using Gliem for this as it was a great supplement to Sheppard.

Gliem frequently updates their data base. Typically annually.
You can check with them regarding your publication edition.

Thanks everyone - this is consistent w what I've heard from others. I'll likely go w Shepphard w Gleim as a supplment.

Might I also recommend King Schools online prep course? Yes, the pleated khakis and corny jokes are all there but the information and course layout is really helpful in understanding material rather than just trying to memorize test questions.

Worth noting: the FAA is in the rapid process of updating all airmen exams so be careful with the companies that have an "up-to-date answer bank." They may be junk by summer.

I used Sporty's iPad app and scored a 93% on the written and used the ASA Oral Prep (orange book) and passed my CPL checkride this week.

I have been through sheppardair for my IR and worked great! With the commercial I have tried it and can't get through it for some reason. I've tried multiple times. So with that I still have access but also am trying King which I'm actually enjoying. With the videos it actually kinda answers some questions I had to help me understand a little better in my problem areas. Will I pass the written....idk but I bet I will. Haha

I used King for the knowledge and Sheppard for the test prep. One thing I love about the King courses is the lifetime access. So whenever I need a refresher on a topic I just pull up one of their videos on my iPad.

Back