Substitute Nose Wheel?

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
The TCDS (A-787) for my Alon A2 specifies either a Cleveland 40-17 or Goodyear 9532926 5.00-5 nose wheel. Neither is in production. What could an in production (i.e. new) replacement be?

What could an in production (i.e. new) replacement be?
I believe the Cleveland is still produced but under the 21-100D number. But a quick call to Univair (TC holder) will get you the answer.

Called Univair. After 20 minutes on the phone with them they advised they no longer sell parts for either the nose or main landing gear, including the wheels. I also checked with Parker Aerospace (Cleveland Wheels) and they advised the 40-17 is obsolete but the 40-77 is "close". The TCDS gives these options for the nose wheel:

(d) Cleveland 5.00-5, Model 21-100D (Type 40-17) Neglect wt. change
(e) Goodyear 5.00-5, P/N 9532926 Neglect wt. change

The 40-77 shows in the Parker Catalog under the 21-100D number but there are several letter suffixes after 40-77. Differences seem to be in the wheel halves and seals. I know I can rule out the versions with spacers or O-rings for tubeless tires. Does anyone have specific knowledge of the 40-77 wheels?

Last edited:
The TCDS gives these options for the nose wheel:
Might be time to get with your APIA and see where his comfort level is. Technically, the 21-100D number is a legit replacement and from what I recall has been used on other coupes to include the later Alons. What I don't remember if it was a plug and play change or it needed a different axel/bearings. Being 21-100D is listed on the TCDS makes this a minor alteration in most circles. There was an Ercoupe/Aircoupe type club that had a paper/article on this a number of years ago, but don't remember the details.

Back