Operating in a TFR

RonP

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RvP
I fly out of 17N in south jersey and it is just a smidge on the border of the TFR when Biden is in Wilmington. Fortunately being on the edge there is a small cutout in the TFR for 17N so I can get in and out of 17N although tight. However there are lots of small GA airports inside the TFR. Does that completely shut down operations especially on the weekend when those airports would be the busiest with weekend aces and flight instruction? Do those airports just bite the bullet and lose revenue or is there some exception, secret handshake, etc. that allows them to operate or they just bite the bullet and take a revenue loss?

You’d have to read what the TFR says. Usually if you’re on a VFR or IFR flight plan, you’re good to go. Sometimes the TFR says “flight training prohibited” or something like that.

When Atl has TFRs when the pres is in town only scheduled airlines fly.

Last edited:
I think WDD means “scheduled” airlines.

You’d have to read what the TFR says. Usually if you’re on a VFR or IFR flight plan, you’re good to go. Sometimes the TFR says “flight training prohibited” or something like that.
From tomorrow's TFR. (And I am BEYOND SHOCKED!!!!!!! there are portions that are not all UPPERCASE and there is spacing between paragraphs. Shocked! What is this world coming to??????)

Operating Restrictions and Requirements

No UAS operations are authorized in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).

Except as specified below and/or unless authorized by ATC in consultation with the air traffic security coordinator via the domestic events network (DEN):

A. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS WITHIN THE 12 NMR AREA(S) LISTED ABOVE, KNOWN AS THE INNER CORE(S), ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT FOR: APPROVED LAW ENFORCEMENT, MILITARY AIRCRAFT DIRECTLY SUPPORTING THE UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE(USSS) AND THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, APPROVED AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHTS, AND REGULARLY SCHEDULED COMMERCIAL PASSENGER AND ALL - CARGO CARRIERS OPERATING UNDER ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TSA - APPROVED STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAMS / PROCEDURES AND ARE ARRIVING INTO AND / OR DEPARTING FROM 14 CFR PART 139 AIRPORTS: AIRCRAFT OPERATOR STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM(AOSSP), FULL ALL - CARGO AIRCRAFT OPERATOR STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM(FACAOSSP), MODEL SECURITY PROGRAM(MSP), TWELVE FIVE STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM ALL CARGO(TFSSP - ALL CARGO), OR ALL - CARGO INTERNATIONAL SECURITY PROCEDURE(ACISP). ALL EMERGENCY / LIFE SAVING FLIGHT(MEDICAL / LAW ENFORCEMENT / FIREFIGHTING) OPERATIONS MUST COORDINATE WITH ATC PRIOR TO THEIR DEPARTURE AT 412-472-5591 TO AVOID POTENTIAL DELAYS.

B. For operations within the airspace between the 12 nmr and 32 nmr area(s) listed above, known as the outer ring(s): All aircraft operating within the outer ring(s) listed above are limited to aircraft arriving or departing local airfields, and workload permitting, ATC may authorize transit operations. Aircraft may not loiter. All aircraft must be on an active IFR or filed VFR flight plan with a discrete code assigned by an Air Traffic Control (ATC) facility. Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code prior to departure and at all times while in the TFR and must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.

C. The following operations are not authorized within this TFR: flight training, practice instrument approaches, aerobatic flight, glider operations, seaplane operations, parachute operations, ultralight, hang gliding, balloon operations, agriculture/crop dusting, animal population control flight operations, banner towing operations, sightseeing operations, maintenance test flights, model aircraft operations, model rocketry, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), and utility and pipeline survey operations.

D. UAS OPERATORS WHO DO NOT COMPLY WITH APPLICABLE AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS ARE WARNED THAT PURSUANT TO 10 U.S.C. SECTION 130I AND 6 U.S.C. SECTION 124N, THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE (DOD), THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (DHS) OR THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE (DOJ) MAY TAKE SECURITY ACTION THAT RESULTS IN THE INTERFERENCE, DISRUPTION, SEIZURE, DAMAGING, OR DESTRUCTION OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT DEEMED TO POSE A CREDIBLE SAFETY OR SECURITY THREAT TO PROTECTED PERSONNEL, FACILITIES, OR ASSETS.

I spoke with someone from Potomac TRACON about a related topic yesterday; requesting flight following prior to exiting the DC SFRA and keeping the assigned transponder code does not satisfy the requirements of the outer ring of VIP TFRs.

IBTL

Let's just fast forward, read the remnants of this "concept" from 4 years ago, welcome the good people of Wilmington to the horrific truth that "elections have consequences" and be done with it.

Or, we can retread it with all the locks and bans that will occur.

I fly out of 17N in south jersey and it is just a smidge on the border of the TFR

You’re almost 30 NM from the TFR center, on the outer edge of the outer ring?

Don’t complain.

The outer ring is not bad. Even deep within it. You can fly when you please in the outer ring. Just file, talk, and squawk. Fly point-to-point. Like the TFR says.

Inner ring is an entirely different matter. Bad juju there - stay away until you’re sure the TFR is over.

This is the OP and no complaints at all since the TFR is cutout around 17N. Saturday was a busy day with the jumpers going up and down, flight school students bouncing airplanes down the runway and weekend aces going places. Business as usual and no special handshake other than the usual comm talk at an untowered airport. For me life was good. Just felt bad for the GA airports in the TFR.

You're lucky. I fly into N72 frequently and while Trump was in office and went to his NJ golf course, N72 was just a mile inside the outer ring, with no cutout. With no transponder I couldn't fly in so I'd have to battle the Friday evening highway traffic. But now it's somebody else's turn, I guess.

This is the OP and no complaints at all since the TFR is cutout around 17N. Saturday was a busy day with the jumpers going up and down, flight school students bouncing airplanes down the runway and weekend aces going places. Business as usual and no special handshake other than the usual comm talk at an untowered airport. For me life was good. Just felt bad for the GA airports in the TFR.

It's really NOT that onerous. Yeah, if you are inside the outer ring (but outside the inner ring), there is a lot you can't do, but nothing says you can't file, squawk, and talk to get out and go somewhere else outside the TFR to do your T&Gs, cross countries, $100 burger, etc. Yeah, the two fields up near Trump's residence in central NJ (KSMQ and Solberg) were pretty much ghost towns while he was there, but for operations outside that inner ring...it was file a plan, get a squawk, talk to NY and hightail it out somewhere else.

Went up with a buddy last saturday to fly out to KLNS for lunch @ Fiorentino's in the terminal. We were going to skirt the FAR NW corner of the outer ring of the TFR. Called Philly (we were on flight following at 6500) and said we were going to deviate to the north to avoid. Philly had given us a squawk when we took off from our departure field. They had our tail number. Couple seconds later...'cleared direct LNS through the edge of the TFR. Report leaving altitude or changing course. Have a nice day..."

Just a couple extra steps. Did it for the last 4 years out of central NJ. Simple phone call to FSS, gin up a VFR plan, call tracon, get a squawk. Adds 5 minutes to your preflight.

Back