Vaccine passports & medical certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh that. I did not get your reference at all!
Yes, the Biden administration is looking at a "vaccine passport". So far among the articles I have read, the effort is around getting an international standard designed and accepted. Based on the articles, the Biden administration tried to avoid the concept of a vaccine passport because they felt it could cause issues. However they were convinced that if they did not step in, there would be five hundred inoperable versions which would cause chaos and be much worse.

Tim

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/17/technology/walmart-vaccine-verification-app.html
Just curious when/how the FAA will require it. A vaccine passport to board a commercial aircraft will push many pilots/passengers toward private ones, and that can't be allowed.

Highly doubtful the FAA would require it, also not sure what regulatory authority they have for it. However, if it did happen, and it pushed more to GA, that would be good for us! So maybe you should advocate for it!

The reality is the CDC is the organization with the statutory authority to make it happen.I think they may require it for those returning or coming from international locations, after others set the example and have minimal blow back. I expect many other countries to require proof of a COVID vaccine that they accept. Just like many countries require you to get certain vaccines to travel there now. Unless COVID is "effectively" stamped out, expect this to happen.
If some states have too many people resistant to basic precautions and not getting vaccinated, you may start to see individual states start mandating it to travel there. Same as they have/had travel restrictions now.

Tim

Why can't they just use the existing yellow CDC or WHO International Certificate Of Vaccine where all my other vaccines and shots are recorded?:rolleyes:
Would be nice, but they'd rather enhance the pockets... er, go for more secure methods such as blockchain because they're afraid people will forge the certificates. Of course, in some states it's virtually required to submit your vaccination to the state vaccination registry, which could easily be tied to such a system (where easily =/= cheap). Don't worry, big brother is always watching.

My company is paying me a few grand for my vaccination. They wouldn't be opening their wallet if they thought the FAA would be mandating it anyway.
Same. They’re paying 5:15 hours per dose. Should have scheduled the two dose vaccine:mad2::lol:

Offering a medical passport to those who want it sounds great. Requiring people to have one, and/or have the vaccine, does not sound great.

Vaccinations have always, in modern times, been required for travel to various regions. I think those moaning about the chance of needing proof of COVID vaccination have led rather sheltered lives. They need to suck it up.

Highly doubtful the FAA would require it, also not sure what regulatory authority they have for it. However, if it did happen, and it pushed more to GA, that would be good for us! So maybe you should advocate for it!

The reality is the CDC is the organization with the statutory authority to make it happen.I think they may require it for those returning or coming from international locations, after others set the example and have minimal blow back. I expect many other countries to require proof of a COVID vaccine that they accept. Just like many countries require you to get certain vaccines to travel there now. Unless COVID is "effectively" stamped out, expect this to happen.
If some states have too many people resistant to basic precautions and not getting vaccinated, you may start to see individual states start mandating it to travel there. Same as they have/had travel restrictions now.

Tim
https://blog.harvardlawreview.org/contagion-and-the-right-to-travel/

Vaccinations have always, in modern times, been required for travel to various regions. I think those moaning about the chance of needing proof of COVID vaccination have led rather sheltered lives. They need to suck it up.

Don't you think popping into Walgreens for some allergy medicine is different than visiting sub-Saharan Africa?

I lost my yellow card along time ago. When I got the Moderna Vaccine, I asked about getting a new one from my PCP team. Nobody there seems to have one. I plan on asking the Trial Team if they can get one for me.

Cheers

BA & AA are looking into apps like VeriFLY to record the vaccines, which seems like a good idea if flying commercial

The NY app is the state doing its own thing again. It draws for the state vaccination registry (it is mandatory for all Covid vaccines to state residents, and for all vaccines for people under 18). It does not talk to any of the other proposed passports and uses IBMs block chain technology (which I believe is proprietary). Apparently it's use will be required by certain events or venues - meaning that until or unless interoperability is resolved, non-residents will be persona non grata, as will be residents of states that don't open their registries for access or deploy a compatible app.

Several folks extolling the virtues of such a system suggest that it should also be used for other vaccines - including flu - which would mean no access for those who don't get a flu shot.

Rapid moves toward Big Brother is watching to "toe the line or else no soup for you".

There’s a difference between needing an international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis (yellow shot record) and existing health records that record immunizations and the concept that one must do something special (create a new ‘vaccine passport’) solely for one additional vaccine that, like most vaccines, is optional for most adult US citizens. Especially in the context of domestic US travel for US citizens.

The system is place is sufficient and fit for purpose. The difference in federal policy being discussed by public officials is that the proposed dedicated ‘COVID passport’ is specifically focused on co-opting private industry to develop not just technology (which already exists) to create a de facto carrot-and-stick public mandate to drive a medical decision during a period when federal (and most state) policies limit who specifically has .gov approval to even make that decision.

BA & AA are looking into apps like VeriFLY to record the vaccines, which seems like a good idea if flying commercial
Scary. I guess I need to save my pennies and buy a plane.

Needing proof of the vaccine to go to Italy is one thing, needing proof of the vaccine to go to another state in the same country, or to attend an event is way too big brother-ish. We still have a little bit of freedom and privacy left in the states, we'd like to keep it that way.

The NY app is the state doing its own thing again.

This is exactly why the Fed's are getting pulled into the "vaccine passport", and why they are focusing on a digital version.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back